question on adding homemade fruit syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayberQue

Reaction score
Okay so i am working on an elderberry mead. Started off with four quarts of honey watered up to four gallons. this gave me 4 gallons of mead must with a starting gravity of 1.087. I made a light elderberry syrup that consisted of
2.5 lbs of elderberries
1/2 lb of table sugar
1 cup of water
i ended up with 1 quart (weighing approx 2.25 lb) of syrup with a gravity of 1.075

i added this as a delayed addition into the primary after a weeks full on fermentation. what i am trying to figure out is what my new original gravity would be... or how to build this into beersmith to calculate it for me. I have all the info i need im just not sure how to implement it

The mead initially had 87 x 4 = 348 gravity pts. You added 75 x 0.25 = 19 pts. That's 367 pts in 4.25 gal or 1.086.

Okay so i am working on an elderberry mead. Started off with four quarts of honey watered up to four gallons. this gave me 4 gallons of mead must with a starting gravity of 1.087. I made a light elderberry syrup that consisted of
2.5 lbs of elderberries
1/2 lb of table sugar
1 cup of water
i ended up with 1 quart (weighing approx 2.25 lb) of syrup with a gravity of 1.075

i added this as a delayed addition into the primary after a weeks full on fermentation. what i am trying to figure out is what my new original gravity would be... or how to build this into beersmith to calculate it for me. I have all the info i need im just not sure how to implement it

I'm almost positive this is correct, but I'm still on my first cup of coffee, so take it with a grain of salt:

As simple as it might seem, the answer is to add up all the gravity points and divide by your new volume:
4 gallons x 87 points = 348 points
1 quart x 75 points = 75 points
total points = 423 points
divided by your total volume - 4 gallons + 0.25 gallons = 4.25 gallons
423/4.25=1.0995

I think I remember a chemistry class problem like this. Couldn't tell you the answer though

Ok. According to this formula for concentrations the first one is correct. 1.086

1409841052810.jpg

Latest posts

Back