Question for anyone using a sanke fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakwi

Reaction score
So I just racked off my first batch using a sanke as a fermenter yesterday, but my standard racking cane wasn't deep enough forcing me to leave almost a gallon of beer. As you can imagine I was pretty upset. I poured it off and let it settle so don't worry I was able to save it, but I probably oxygenated it. I'll save it for the end of a party when no one will notice.

Anyway my question is what do you guys use for a racking cane. I already ordered an autosiphon but now I'm not sure if it will work.

If you have all the fittings...you could just use co2 to push the beer out. Instead of a faucet, just hook the beer OUT to a hose and transfer to whatever vessel you are using. Just make sure the pressure is low enough to not slosh when transferring.

I do have all the fittings, but how would you avoid the yeast?

Mine is a 3/8 x 24 inch, ss curved racking cane, and it goes all the way to the bottom. Not sure where I got it, but I use the adjustable compression fitting from Bobby so that I can start off kind of high off the bottom, then as I get close, I'll start pushing that cane down into the keg until I see just a bit of yeast coming off the bottom through the clear hose.
If you cold crash first and rack it off slowly, you'll get completely clear beer.

I'm assuming the OP is using a TC cap that has been altered with various fittings?

Actually I disassembled a spear using the top part only and a stopper with a blow off tube., sounds like the autosiphon will do the trick though.

Latest posts

Back