Question; can Inline Auto Siphons be better than today's auto-siphons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question; Would Inline Auto Siphons be better than today's auto-siphons?

I am or was not trying to invent anything, but I don't recall ever seeing an Inline Auto Siphon (for sale for brewing). I thought of this probably weeks ago, only because auto siphons today are limited in their scope, or myopic in many regards, &/or I cannot pump auto siphon deeper than it goes, like if its deep (primary or secondary fermenter) containers & you have a mini auto siphon (like I have), you would not be able to reach the bottom with that (if it's too deep, etc.) etc.. And, I know that all brewers could benefit by only needing one Inline Auto Siphon to transfer liquids from virtually any container to the next. Actually, I know that a normal tubing hose could work, but I don't feel comfortable putting a dirty mouth on what should be sterile. And if you are racking, you might need to keep priming the siphon if the liquid goes below the input of that tube, like I have needed to tip it over after it runs out of liquid being high enough to work. And, with this novel- to- me notion, if you had a long enough tube, you could auto siphon a container that is 10 feet deep or more, to give an example. And, it would be as easy as maybe pumping a turkey baster- like little rubber ball, & checkvalves. Or if you needed to occilate a little piston back & forth (like many today that are not inline, but at the beginning of the input), that would work, or even a little wheel to spin with a handle, etc., I guess there are many ways to accomplish the same effects, right? And it's not like I care if I capitalize off this, I am content being blessed from the Blessed, but if I could help many, that would be a priceless reward. . .*

Actually, there could be little electric pumps that would quicken the process, but an engineering teacher (Mr. Turback) would tell students, KISS, or Keep It Simple Stupid, heh, no pun intended. Actually, if there were little bottle rackers, like today have spring activated racking devices, the electric pump could turn off when it senses the liquid flow stop. And also, checkvalves would probably be good for the Inline Auto Siphon, either right in front or behind the input & output of said Inline Auto Siphon, or both. That would keep constant pressures, & nothing could empty back into the original container being siphoned from, yes? And, I know that if there was a squishy turkey baster- like pump, because of the checkvalve or checkvalves, it would not need any other equipment besides a little squishy ball, I assume & imagine. Like how a lawnmower has little squishy priming buttons, I have seen, except these for brewing would be any size that worked good, to speculate. Actually, I am sure that anyone could put a little dowel or rod at the end of their tube, to keep it off the trub, & it could be adjusted per needs. Maybe spring action either inside or outside the tube itself? Like you could push it down an extra maybe 1 inch or so when towards the bottom, or fully control the various spring action & whatnot? Actually, I know that all would be really needed is the Inline Auto Siphon, if you already have the tubing or want other tubing, because you probably have tubing already, I assume. And there should be an easy way to adjust between different gauge sizes of tubing, like maybe over 1 inch that could go down to any smaller size, per included fittings or attachments, no? Or even like a chuck device like many drills have that could be turned to expand & contract to what size is needed, & no additional fittings would be needed if it could adapt to the size tubing you are using, etc, yes? This would be more universally better for the (home) brewers, they could have this & not need anything extra besides tubing, or tubing could be included if wanted. Actually, many people could build this themself, if they have a squishy ball (like a tennis ball, for example) or rubber bladder, & check valve(s), but a ballon or thin rubber would not work if it couldn't spring back to size, but any foodgrade waterproof material could work if it had spring or springs inside & would not tare or rip. . .*

I don't know, I'm with Stupid, so please disregard ignorance that is innate by the Simple & Lame, deaf dumb blind & nude person I am. Actually, I would like to buy one of these Inline Auto Siphons for Stupid, I am lazy & wouldn't want to tinker with something that would be a Mickey Mouse job / device that could rupture, etc.. Lastly, the forest dump is overflowing with milk and honey, but I might be too perpetually drunk to realize or see anything with lucidity or clarity, etc.. My momma always told Me, Stupid is as Stupid does, etc.. . .*

P.S., I began writing this about 3 p.m., Easter Time, on 6- 20- 2017, or Tuesday June 20th. But I have to wait until they allow me on these forums for Hims or Hymns or Hums, hmmm, huh?. . .*

Peas be upon you,*
I'm with Stupid*

Cheers & Please give peace a chance.*

PEACE

To give a little feedback: The normal auto siphons do what I need, so the in-line wouldn't be of interest. Anybody who could benefit from the advantages would have a whole different take on it. Anyway, welcome to HBT.

To give a little feedback: The normal auto siphons do what I need, so the in-line wouldn't be of interest. Anybody who could benefit from the advantages would have a whole different take on it. Anyway, welcome to HBT.
Hey, thanks.

I am new to brewing, but I am not new to being a would-be entrepreneur. Actually, I can only say that if life throws you barely enough Barely, make some beer Barely Wine, heh.

But, I wasn't really looking to post this online, I wasn't looking to post anything online about brewing, but this notion was more of a novelty to me, & I was more looking for feedback whether this was has already been invented or sold for the brewers...?

And that is the reason why I posted this, to see if they sell this Inline Auto Siphon pump anywhere for brewing. And I guess that I was posting to satiate my inquisitive wonders if this is indeed a novelty...?

Actually, I would say that if it is a novelty from Self, I would not want to patent it by Self, but also I believe that it shouldn't be patented by a notion thief so they can make maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars via my notion. Actually, I have many novelties that I have been blessed to receive from the Lord in Heavens, but I know my rewards are not financial nor worldly, etc..

Anyways, I hope this is the correct subforum to post this in, & I hope many people will benefit from this Inline Auto Siphon if it's novel & if people could benefit from it. I am just like the proverbial Johnny AppleSeed, I scatter seeds to hope some will take root & grow & produce a healthy harvest, metaphorically speaking mostly.

Actually, I'm sure there is not much I can help the seasoned & master brewers, I am basically an apprentice among more advanced scholars & practitioners. And sometimes being quiet is better than looking Stupid. But, I have a long way to go to be of benefit to this forum, if anything, I will just read & take mental notes & ask earnest questions that I would appreciate help & advice about. But I already have brewed like 3 batches of beer & more of wines & rum wines. But one beer batch was ruined because I added sweetened condensed milk & a small can of evaporated milk, so I don't include that as anything but a lesson learned from being compulsive to add what I hoped was going to make a cream ale, alas. As the name implies, I'm with Stupid, heh.

But I am just rambling now & nothing pertinent nor important to say. But I just hoped that this might help many people if it's novel, I will probably not patent this, but I don't believe people have legal rights to steal novelties / discoveries as their own, to profit from another mans goodwill.

Anyways, best regards & cheers to all the intoxicated, heh.

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

I like your entrepreneurial spirit. I use the auto-syphon and it works great for me. I brew in two one gallon glass carboys each batch so the short auto-syphon is perfect for me. If my carboy was much deeper then I would likely buy a longer auto-syphon. The auto-syphon is so simple that it is easy to clean and sanitize. Two parts not too many. If I needed to have an inline syphon, I would submerge my hose almost completely and then clamp the end tightly with the pictured device. I can then take the clamped end to a lower elevation and rack it. Once it was started I would focus my attention on the upper tube to keep myself from sucking trub.

IMG_0572.jpg

Hey, thanks.

I am new to brewing, but I am not new to being a would-be entrepreneur. Actually, I can only say that if life throws you barely enough Barely, make some beer Barely Wine, heh.

But, I wasn't really looking to post this online, I wasn't looking to post anything online about brewing, but this notion was more of a novelty to me, & I was more looking for feedback whether this was has already been invented or sold for the brewers...?

And that is the reason why I posted this, to see if they sell this Inline Auto Siphon pump anywhere for brewing. And I guess that I was posting to satiate my inquisitive wonders if this is indeed a novelty...?

Actually, I would say that if it is a novelty from Self, I would not want to patent it by Self, but also I believe that it shouldn't be patented by a notion thief so they can make maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars via my notion. Actually, I have many novelties that I have been blessed to receive from the Lord in Heavens, but I know my rewards are not financial nor worldly, etc..

Anyways, I hope this is the correct subforum to post this in, & I hope many people will benefit from this Inline Auto Siphon if it's novel & if people could benefit from it. I am just like the proverbial Johnny AppleSeed, I scatter seeds to hope some will take root & grow & produce a healthy harvest, metaphorically speaking mostly.

Actually, I'm sure there is not much I can help the seasoned & master brewers, I am basically an apprentice among more advanced scholars & practitioners. And sometimes being quiet is better than looking Stupid. But, I have a long way to go to be of benefit to this forum, if anything, I will just read & take mental notes & ask earnest questions that I would appreciate help & advice about. But I already have brewed like 3 batches of beer & more of wines & rum wines. But one beer batch was ruined because I added sweetened condensed milk & a small can of evaporated milk, so I don't include that as anything but a lesson learned from being compulsive to add what I hoped was going to make a cream ale, alas. As the name implies, I'm with Stupid, heh.

But I am just rambling now & nothing pertinent nor important to say. But I just hoped that this might help many people if it's novel, I will probably not patent this, but I don't believe people have legal rights to steal novelties / discoveries as their own, to profit from another mans goodwill.

Anyways, best regards & cheers to all the intoxicated, heh.

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE
Silly boy, you have to use heavy whipping cream in a cream ale.

There are squeeze-bulb siphons on the market. I'm fairly sure I've seen that at my local homebrew store.

Heh, maybe, I am just Brewing for a hobby & Cheap Beer, so that's why I iterated about Not being Sure & just a thought & Question if it already exists. But, I can honestly say that I just starting Brewing Beer this year, but I have also done some wines & whatnot this year. But when I was a child, probably 13 or 14 years old or so, I went to the Sinai & collected maybe 2 grocery bags of what I called Portuguese Berries, but they are known as Autumn Olive Berries, they grow in New England & I guess anywhere it has what it needs, etc.. I believe they are called in Portuguese, or pronounced as Ba Geen Ya's. But I am not fluent in anything except English & can only speak very broken Portuguese, etc.. But my dad, from the Azores in the archipelago off West Portugal, his family had a farm & grew everything from Grapes to Tobacco to Pigs, etc.. So I assume they would homebrew their own Wines, etc.. And I recall prior to being ~14 & collecting those Autumn Olive Berries at Sinai, my paternal grandparents had the most delectable Grape Wines from their own Grape Vines in New England. It was Nothing like any store- bought wines I have tasted, much sweeter, much more effervescent & like a sweet & juicy Champaign, to give an example. So at maybe even 14 years old, 15 at the most, I figured I loved those Autumn Olive Berries & I told my dad I wanted to make wine from them. He was like Okay, I'll help you. I brought them home, smashed them up, I believe my dad added Sugar & I waited till the berries separated from the juice in a big bowl, collected the Juice & my dad added some probably Bakers Yeast & I bottled it & would Burp it in my closet every so often. No airlock, no sanitation, no special equipment & only using a maybe 2 liter glass bottle to let it "work it's magic," etc.. I forget how long I waited to try it, maybe up to over 1 or 2 months, I guess, & I ended up drinking it with an old friend named Brian who lived on the street, he was about my age or a year older. And I recall that it was very good Wine too, I had no complaints, nothing but a Great Bottle of Wine to enjoy that day. I cannot recall if I got drunk from it, I suppose I was sharing it & couldn't drink it myself without a guilty feeling by having my buddy left out. But I recall being very Drunk prior to my 14th birthday, probably younger than that. And I would recommend anyone in an area of Autumn Olive Berries & is able & wants to make a Wine out of them, to give it a shot, I don't believe anyone would not like it if they like Wines, etc.. But the Autumn Olive Berries are very bitter towards the beginning part of their putting berries out. They grow in like trees with leaves having White'ish underside & big thorns on some branches, not like a thorn bush but much less thorns & the thorns might be over 3 inches long. The berries are Red with little white dot speckles. They are sweet going down but leave a bitter & tart flavor after, almost dries out your palate. But they plump up more towards the latter Fall & become sweeter & more succulent & juicy, etc.. They like growing near highways & if you find one tree, there will usually be more. They fruit up in like grape clusters, except the berries are much smaller, about the size of an airsoft BB, or even peas you get in a can, or if corn were mostly round, etc., & the berry clusters can grow in many places on the same branch. But if you try these prior to being mature, very sour or bitter & tart & tangy, etc., & some friends thought I was trying to poison them while walking & telling them to try random red berries they didn't know about. I'd say, I've been eating these since a kid, Watch as I feast on them. Heh.

But, with that being said, it was to make a point, which is that was my Only time I ever brewed alcohol prior to this Year, if I'm not mistaken. I was like 14 or so. So, I am Not some Master Brewer, I'm just trying to have cheap & better quality alcohol to enjoy as I'm humble in finances & I enjoy both the drinking it & the Hobby of Brewing & now learning a new trade or passion or something new to have little science experiments on. So, I don't believe I have even Ever been to a Brewing store marketing the homebrewers supplies needs, etc.. I bought stuff online, but not to a physical homebrewing store.

So, you could be correct, I'm no expert on the subject. I just like to try & help in little ways & use my God- given consciousness to try & direct it towards good & for help of others. But, I also have more recently conjured a anti- Leaking "Nipple" Cap for both Beer Cans & Glass bottles. See my other thread about inquiring how to know which Glass Beer Caps have Twist Off or Peel Off Caps.

But, regardless of these things, I have to warn you. If you find Red Berries in the Woods or something, don't eat them unless you know what they are, I am not responsible for any inadvertent accidents from people trying to eat berries they don't know about. These Autumn Olive Berries, the Trees can be over maybe 12 feet high & they are not big trees, but not small bushes either. And I already warned you about the Big Thorns that lurk on some branches. And, I would recommend anyone trying them if they saw them at a niche grocery market, but they need to ripen or they'll taste very bitter & make your palate parched. But ripened, much better & I love eating them, free food & organic & very pleasant for me. But I have been eating them since a kid, so I might have acquired a taste for them, & they probably don't grow in all demographics, I'm sure. But the point is that, I loved those berries & made a Wine at maybe 14 years old form them, superb, & I am not cognizant of Brewing homemade alcohol prior to the past year, except said time almost 2 decades ago. So, I gave my caveat & the Warning of my lack of assuming responsibility for people eating poisonous berries, etc..

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

Silly boy, you have to use heavy whipping cream in a cream ale.

I know, you're correct. And I need to put some cottage cheese in there to help get more protein from it, yogurt might help, too, & some Cream Cheese to make it more Creamy & some Sour Cream to make it act as a Bittering Agent if I'm Low on Hops. And I guess maybe some ice cream, you scream, we all scream for...

I don't know about the Heavy Whipping Cream though, I could make some butter from that, but why not just use Raw Whole Dairy Milk instead of using Water as the base of the Beer? Wouldn't that make it the Most Creamy? And if all fails, I'll just but a Cow to do it myself, I'll call her Old Betty. And I am thinking now, I'll just milk her in my kitchen & instead of trying to boil the Cow Milk after it's all been collected, I can squirt her milk up into my brewing Kettle, to not have to wait for the gallons of Cow milk to heat up all at once. I hope she doesn't mind, if she minds, I need to buy a very big freezer. Or maybe instead of doing it bending over, I can ride her or straddle her like a horse, but I hope her utters will utterly stretch that far. But I have long arms, & I'll give her some Hay during that so she doesn't go, "Hey there you Rocky Mountain Oyster, I'll sick my big daddy Bull on you." And, If my Cream Stout Ale doesn't win any awards, I'll just sell some Cheese.

Cheese & Cheers, drink a Beer my Dear.

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

Nice, it appears to be an inline siphon or something. Please extrapolate what that is & how it works & when it was invented for brewing. It appears to be exactly what I was trying to depict in words in my preface of this thread. But you didn't add any description besides the picture, or I didn't read anything.

As I said, it wasn't anything but a squishy ball & check valves, like a lawnmower has to prime the engine, or I assume that's what the primer button is on lawnmowers. And the only thing I was trying to express was, Has this already been invented to be used as a homebrewing device? And also, I have not seen them being sold online, so I suppose it's novel to Me. But the premise was borrowed from the fact that check valves act as diodes or to rectify the flow of the currents. And, I am sure that I might have been cognizant of this when scuba diving many years ago, over a decade. I'm not sure if I was thinking about check valves every breath I took, but it was simply a device to allow fresh air to only flow while a breath is inhaled.

But, It appears two things are happening;

1) this was invented for brewing before I came up with my notion of a better auto siphon. Or...

2) these guys used my notion after I came up with it within the past X weeks or months, etc..

Either way, I don't care much. I'm not going to sue, but I need to use the loo (spelling?). But, I can already see that I'm brewing for the brewers.

*** Puts long spoon into an auld kettle over a fire & says some esoteric chants & puts some frog skin, magic dust, monkfish gallbladders, some barely, & spices. And makes a witch-like cackle & tips top hat down as a bow. Then runs to the bathroom to let out some waste brewing in belly. ***

Heh, cheers guys.

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture is a link - if you click on it, it will bring you to the Amazon page where you can read about it and buy it.

It is rated for potable water, so should be fine for moving cool wort or beer. I wouldn't use it for hot wort, but then again you can't move hot wort with an autosiphon either. But yes, it is a squeeze bulb with check valves to get the line primed and siphoning. I don't know when it was invented, but I remember having one for filling our kerosene heater when I was a kid several decades ago, so it's not a new idea.

The picture is a link - if you click on it, it will bring you to the Amazon page where you can read about it and buy it.

It is rated for potable water, so should be fine for moving cool wort or beer. I wouldn't use it for hot wort, but then again you can't move hot wort with an autosiphon either. But yes, it is a squeeze bulb with check valves to get the line primed and siphoning. I don't know when it was invented, but I remember having one for filling our kerosene heater when I was a kid several decades ago, so it's not a new idea.

After I stopped posting here, I bought an Auto Siphon per my design's, Except

Poor Manufacturing hardware

Instead of Rubber Gaskets, it was plastic on Hinges

It didn't work, but I paid Like less than $2, & just used the hose itself, as the implementation was poor

Premise is good, I believe

P.S., like Avatar Picture? Just uploaded it now... Picture from 7 - 9 day's ago, I don't keep track of things like that. I posted, Met, online past week or so

I'm With Stupid

See...

I told, this Avatar belongs to me't...

Bath for Mr. RIPs!

Anyways, I'm not drinking Beer now.

Just wanted to Signal, I've Met some online here now, I'm sure.

Anyways, would I Lie about an Avatar or Not? I'm not hiding my literature per se, it gets Stolen, sometimes

Taking Lesser Seats, hence Avatar

Namaste

Cupid

I'm With Stupid

But, yes, this Could be exactly what it looks like.

My premise was to Integrate said Hardware into Brewing World, because I needed That months, moons ago

I basically conjured that. Via simply Science / knowledge that I've been around growing up. Like, I know how check valves work, & saw I needed Those with Squishy Ball for Auto Inline Siphon

Then I thought of Gasoline Lawn Mowers, as an example...

I just live / work this way. Have problems, conjure solutions

Cupid says,

I'm With Stupid

Last edited by a moderator:
Full disclaimer... I did not even finish reading the 1st post. With that said, I use a vacuum pump. One of the investments in my brew kit. No more lifting full carboys also.
I do miss stealing a sip when I siphon.
Cheers

Back