Question about yeast starters...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DublinOhioBrewer

Reaction score
So, I decided to splurge on a stir plate kit and try doing yeast starters in my beers. I just have a curious question about a Yeast Starter. Does it increase the chances of a krausen blow off? Or does it decrease the chances of one? I've never done one and I'm doing a Pliny the Elder clone which has a ton of hops in it and I didn't know if I needed to be cautious with it while it's fermenting.

So, I decided to splurge on a stir plate kit and try doing yeast starters in my beers. I just have a curious question about a Yeast Starter. Does it increase the chances of a krausen blow off? Or does it decrease the chances of one? I've never done one and I'm doing a Pliny the Elder clone which has a ton of hops in it and I didn't know if I needed to be cautious with it while it's fermenting.

Neither. Blow off is most often attributed to too hot of a fermentation or not enough head space in the fermentor.

Depends on the yeast strain too. If you’re using an active Belgian yeast you will get blow off in a fermonster. With wyeast 3787 and 3944 I’ve had significant blow off with a fermonster.

Latest posts

Back