Question about yeast generations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRedBrewer

Reaction score
Do you have to harvest yeast from a fermentor to get the generational changes in yeast?

Alternatively, can I just make extra starter, save a pint or so each time, and reap the benefits of new generations? Or is that yeast still technically 1st gen since it hasn't been through a full fermentation cycle?

I'm looking to get the benefits of 2nd-10th generation Conan yeast, without harvesting from a fermentor. It's just much easier (and sanitary) to keep some starter each time. But not sure if that yeast is really any different from the original. (Lazy guy here)

It is a purer culture, but it is a generational culture too. I do this all the time. I make a large starter from a fresh pitch and harvest from 1/4 to 1/2 of it for future brews. I make a starter for that pitch as well, again larger than needed, pulling 1/4 to 1/2 of it. I've done this as many as 6 times with standard Chico and as many as 8 times with Belgian Abbaye. In fact I have a 2 liter starter going of Abbaye yeast that is second generation right now. I will be doing a complete lab work up of this starter; checking viability, cell counts, mutation, and purity. I will then plate it to isolate it and will be making up new pitches to place in deep freeze (pitches stored in glycerin).

I've cultured after fermentation, but the viability is a lot lower due to hop matter, hot & cold break and general yeast health. Without plating and isolating the yeast, it generally isn't worth the extra effort of trying to clean the yeast.

Thanks Mouse! I recently heard a lecture by the guy at alchemist. He said the Conan strain really gets good from 2nd generation on. Do you think I can experience that change from this method (harvesting from starter to starter)?

With each generation, the yeast will mutate to your 'house strain' based on temperature, pitch rates and available sugar and oxygen. You would have a version that would not be like the strain that is at a local brewery, but it would be better then the first pitch in any case. The original pitch (be it from White labs or Wyeast) is a relatively pure strain grown under virtually perfect conditions, so it will have only the base characteristics of the yeast. As you acclimate the yeast to your environment, it will develop its own character. The second generation will be better than the original pitch, but I've found that mine are better at the 3rd or 4th generation. These are the ones that I will be isolating and plating as my house strain.

Back