Question about my first starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach976

Reaction score
I made my first yeast starter today for an IPA I'm brewing tomorrow. OG is. 1.069,so I made a 2L starter with 200 grams of light DME. Apparently I boiled away more than I anticipated because I have 1750ml stirring away on my stir plate. 1750ml should be fine, right? I figure it's better than making no starter at all. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You should be good, even with the lower volume. If you play around on mrmalty.com, then you can see that a 2 liter starter for a 1.069 beer would get you enough yeast.

I just plugged in that your the yeast is 2-3 weeks old. If it is older than that, then you might be under-pitching a bit, but it isn't going to make a noticeable difference and is better than no starter at all.

I woke up this morning to see that my yeast starter had blown the foam stopper off and foamed over a little. I hope it's not going to be contaminated. How do you keep this from happening? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406203090.678988.jpg

Should I use the starter or go pick up some dry yeast to use?

you over filled the flask.

Rule of thumb, 1/4 of total capacity is max volume. So, 500ml in a 2L flask.

Assuming your original cleanliness practices are proper, I would wipe the flask and lip down with some sanitizer and use it.

Assuming your original cleanliness practices are proper, I would wipe the flask and lip down with some sanitizer and use it.

My first time, so I was unaware of that. It's weird that I've watched plenty of people make 2L starters in a 2L flask without it over flowing.

I routinely make 2 liter(pre-boil) starters in 2000 ml flasks and have never had any issue.

I typically end up with 1.75l after the boil, so I would just chalk it up to chance or maybe the temps in your house are a little high. If it continues to be a problem, then a drop or two of that No-Foam stuff should work out for you.

I routinely make 2 liter(pre-boil) starters in 2000 ml flasks and have never had any issue.

I typically end up with 1.75l after the boil, so I would just chalk it up to chance or maybe the temps in your house are a little high. If it continues to be a problem, then a drop or two of that No-Foam stuff should work out for you.

Thanks for your help. 1750ml is about what I had after boil too. My house was between 72 and 75 degrees. I had it on my stir plate for a little over 24 hrs.

So you are saying when you make a 2L starter that you use an 8000mL flask? wowser.

Back