Question about lautering/hot side aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madvillain

Reaction score
Hello all, I did my first PM brew on Sunday (a Fat Tire clone) and came across something that I didn't think about until it was happening. I have a brass bulkhead assembly to 1/2 in. tubing. I remember reading that recirculating/lautering should be done slowly as to not disturb the grain bed, and quietly to prevent hot side aeration. However, in order to get the wort flowing slowly it was just trickling down the tube and not a solid column of liquid.

This is bad right? Should I install a nylon ball valve at the end of the tubing, open up the brass one all the way and use the nylon one to control the flow? Thanks!

rdwhahb!

I am not sure I entirely understand the question. Fwiw though, in general although HSA is a reality, with normal handling you should be alright. Oh, I think I understand what you are saying. The tube wasn't full of liquid. Good question. From what I gather (could be wrong on this) but as long as it is gently flowing, with no bubbling and splashing it is alright. Either way, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It will turn out fine.

Totally. I'm fine with it, the wort smelled great and we'll see how it comes out. Just thought I would ask as I hadn't seen it addressed before. Thank you kindly!:)

Madvillain said:
Totally. I'm fine with it, the wort smelled great and we'll see how it comes out. Just thought I would ask as I hadn't seen it addressed before. Thank you kindly!:)

Your welcome. I haven't seen any information on this particular issue. HSA in general there is lots of stuff, but I am not %100 sure about the hose being full if that will make an impact. I have had the same issue before and never noticed any off flavors associated with HSA. I tend to get the feeling that as long as you are gentle and don't beat it up (when it is running down the tube as opposed to being splashed into the kettle), most of the time it turns out fine although I do believe HSA affects long term stability more than anything else.

First if you are doing fly sparging then you need to sparge slow. Batch sparging is the Indy of sparging. Fast is good.
Now to the HSA. Yes you are correct in that you should get a smaller tube and make sure you have all liquid filling the tube to reduce the chance of HSA. And this should be done only if you are worried about HSA. A lot of people don't worry about it. I don't worry too much about it, but try to avoid it if I can.

I am batch sparging, so I guess slow is not a concern :) . Also, if HSA is mostly concerned with long term stability, I don't care too much about that either. I doubt it will be around long enough to become "long term" hehe. :mug:

Madvillain said:
I doubt it will be around long enough to become "long term" hehe. :mug:

Just to throw a wrench in the works....what if you have a barleywine or other strong ale you want to age a year or so to improve the flavor?
I always try to do whats best for the beer, short or long term, even if it does a take a little more work.
Just my .2 cents

Craig5_12 said:
Just to throw a wrench in the works....what if you have a barleywine or other strong ale you want to age a year or so to improve the flavor?
I always try to do whats best for the beer, short or long term, even if it does a take a little more work.
Just my .2 cents

Well that is really where one needs to be extra careful and it is a good point.

Back