Question about kettle screens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmoron

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting past the need for siphoning chilled wort out of my boil kettle by adding a weldless ball valve conversion kit to it. Having never used this method of transfer, my biggest concern is ending up with more break material in the fermenter.

Does this item work as intended? 12" Boil Screen

Does it keep out the break material?
Does it clog up for beers with a lot of break material?
Does it work better or not at all with pellet hops vs whole leaf hops?
Is a pump critical or will gravity do this trick for running it off?

Any other methods or tips from those with valves on their kettles? How do you manage to run off clear wort and not lose a ton to the kettle trub?

I have one and its a piece of ****. Honestly, a side pickup and WP work great.

Maybe I'm just being picky about how much I want to let through, but a whirlpool has never done an acceptable job for me. If I try to siphon within a few minutes of doing it, I would have to abandon 2-3 gallons to avoid getting break material. I have to wait an hour for everything to settle to lose less than a gallon.

I'm looking for a solution that would eliminate the need to siphon while also providing a mechanism to effectively filter out the break material and hops and minimize wort loss.

I second the whirlpool with a side pickup. In order for it to be really effective you'll want to start the whirlpool and let it be for 20+ minutes so the cone can form. A better solution would be a hop stopper, or hop taco if you want to filter it. The guy with the electric brewery website shows his use of it.Electric Brewery Hop Stopper

Back