Question about kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
Any downside to buying used ball kegs over new? Ordering a two keg system tonight and the used are considerably cheaper. New to kegging.

Used are fine as long as they hold pressure. Typically all of the big sellers online will pressure-test them before shipping them.

All of the ones I have purchased were used and acquired on CL. I have had no issues at all. Check the inside out real well when purchasing off of CL. Ensure there are no funky chemical smells inside. Have the seller fill them with CO2 prior to looking them over to ensure they hold pressure. If the don't, you can always buy new keg gaskets for next to nothing.

Some are tough to seal, but once you figure out the trick for that keg they are fine. I've bought used and new. Never had any problem with either.

I have one with a good dent in the side. Whenever I pressurize it makes a loud metallic POP. That's how I know it's holding pressure. They each have a personality. :D

Awesome and should I get a dual regulator or save the $50?im new to kegging and don't know if I'm going to carb each beer differently. Do you guys often have different carb levels?

Awesome and should I get a dual regulator or save the $50?im new to kegging and don't know if I'm going to carb each beer differently. Do you guys often have different carb levels?

I would recommend getting a single regulator. If you want more control, buy secondary regs. You can get as few or as many as you need. Mine came with a 4 port manifold, so a single reg on the tank will work just fine for me.

That depends on your preference. The advantage to a dual gauge is that you can have two beers at DIFFERENT pressures.

Now, you CAN have two(or more) beers at the SAME pressure using a manifold or tee on a single gauge regulator.

But if you ever decide to make one beer that is best served with normal volumes of CO2 and then have a beer that maybe is best with low or high volumes of CO2, it will be tough to do and require a lot of finnicking with a single gauge regulator.

For example: I have a English bitter and a root beer on tap and the English is set to like 15 psi while the root beer would need upwards of 30 psi to come out carbonated like it should. I have a single gauge regulator and it's a PITA.

If you have the money, my advice is just go for the dual. Good luck!

- ISM NRP

Back