Question about kegging in a Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabbed_Out_Brewing

Reaction score
I am eager to keg two batches that I currently have fermenting. I have all of the stuff (i think) i need. This is a multi-part question:

1. Is kegging the beer as simple as racking from carboy to keg on top of my priming sugar solution? Should i transfer from carboy, to bucket, and then to keg to try and clear it up a bit? Can I transfer to a keg and age in there or should i leave it in a carboy to age? Is it better to force carbonate if I have an option or just carbonate with priming sugar?

2. I bought the kegerator from someone who converted a chest freezer and it is REALLY nice. My question is, what parts do i need to hook the lines to my corny keg, the previous owner has all of the parts for 1/4 and 1//2 barrel standard kegs.

sorry I know it's a lot, thanks to whoever tries to tackle this one.

:mug:

1. Is kegging the beer as simple as racking from carboy to keg

Yes it can be.

....priming sugar solution? ...

Not needed if your going to force carb

Should i transfer from carboy, to bucket, and then to keg to try and clear it up a bit?

No

Can I transfer to a keg and age in there or should i leave it in a carboy to age?

Merits to both approaches. I like to keg once ferment is done and the beer has cleared, (14 days usually)

Is it better to force carbonate if I have an option or just carbonate with priming sugar?

Both effective. Neither is "better". Merits to both methods. I force carbonate all my beers.

2. I bought the kegerator from someone who converted a chest freezer and it is REALLY nice. My question is, what parts do i need to hook the lines to my corny keg.

:mug:

Gas lines and beer lines with quick disconnects on both. Loads of options depending on your current gear and desired setup. Too much options to answer it easy. You need to decide what you want and go from there.

I am eager to keg two batches that I currently have fermenting. I have all of the stuff (i think) i need. This is a multi-part question:
:

Let's assume you already have a Co2 tank with Co2 in it and a working Co2 gauge, that's a really good start. Then you'll need a 3/16 ID beer line about 8-10 feet long and about 5 feet of 5/16 ID gas line.

I like using the set 'n forget method to force carbonate my beer after fermentation is done and the beer's been cold crashed for three days.

Enjoy!

Let's assume you already have a Co2 tank with Co2 in it and a working Co2 gauge, that's a really good start. Then you'll need a 3/16 ID beer line about 8-10 feet long and about 5 feet of 5/16 ID gas line.

I like using the set 'n forget method to force carbonate my beer after fermentation is done and the beer's been cold crashed for three days.

Enjoy!

I have 3 tanks, and a guage as well as beer gas and liquid lines! My dad hooked me up with his old tanks and such. The guys who sold me the kegerator with the tap and extra co2 tank told me i need to convert it to fit the ball lock keg. I didn't know what he meant, i assumed the lines would connect right into it.

The guys who sold me the kegerator with the tap and extra co2 tank told me i need to convert it to fit the ball lock keg. I didn't know what he meant, i assumed the lines would connect right into it.

Sounds like you bought 'pin lock' corny kegs from them, there are 'ball lock' and 'pin lock' connectors on corny kegs. This dates back to the days when Coke and Pepsi prevented each others equipment from being compatible. For instance I have all 'ball lock' connectors on my corny kegs.

Sounds like you bought 'pin lock' corny kegs from them, there are 'ball lock' and 'pin lock' connectors on corny kegs. This dates back to the days when Coke and Pepsi prevented each others equipment from being compatible. For instance I have all 'ball lock' connectors on my corny kegs.

No, it sounds like a sanke set up to me.

All that means is that you need new connectors, and you may want to replace the line anyway, since they get yucky and if the guy you bought it from didn't clean them well, they should be replaced. Beer line is cheap(ish) and you will want about 12' of 3/16" line per tap.

If you post a picture of what you have, we can definitely tell what you need and what kind of connections you have- I'm just guessing it's a sanke.

I agree with above. If you have the CO2 tank set up, I would forego the natural carbonation. I keg my beers and then leave them at serving temp/pressure. They are fully carbed in about 1.5 weeks. Very minimal sediment on the first draw or so, especially if it is not a dry-hopped brew.

My question is, what parts do i need to hook the lines to my corny keg, the previous owner has all of the parts for 1/4 and 1//2 barrel standard kegs.

I might have missed this part, I'm changing my mind to think Sanke too now. I've never heard of a corny keg in those sizes. Can we have some pictures?

I agree with MattyIce, don't use priming sugar. Just set your CO2 to serving pressure, I usually set at 10PSI and let it sit about 10 days before serving. This way you won't over carbonate and cold crashes your brew, never had a problem with carbonation doing it this way. I also suggest you just go to your local Homebrew Supply store if you can and bring the tank and it's connections along with your gas and beer connects, and they will get everything you need. Your going to love kegging, one of the best decisions I made. Also take some pics of your setup so they can help with gas and serving lines if needed.

Latest posts

Back