Question about kegerator/fermenter chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodSweatandBeers

Reaction score
I'm trying to get an idea of what the usual set up is when it comes to kegerators and fermentation chambers. Do you guys use a two appliance set-up or just one? I want to start controlling my fermentation temps and expand into lager capability but I would also like to start kegging. The only real issue is available space. Of the two things I'm wanting to do, I've gathered controlling fermentation temp is more important, but kegging sounds so much better than bottles. Any input would be much appreciated.

I get by with a small two-tap kegerator in my home-office, and a freezer with external temperature control for fermentation in my garage. my beer was okay when I was fermenting at room temp; it is much better with the temperature controlled. my cooling bill is also seeing the benefit as I don't have to cool the whole house down to the low 70's just to hit the high side of the yeast optimal temperature range.

You're probably going to want to go the 2 appliances route unless you are a 100% lager brewer. Beer serving temperatures are much different than fermentation temperatures. I have a keezer for serving my beers, and before it gets too hot I want to buy a small chest freezer to keep fermentation temperatures in the 65 F range.

People also build fermentation chambers out of foam board, frozen water jugs, thermostats and computer fans. I'm not smart enough for that :)

I've got a mini fridge for my kegerator and a chest freezer for fermenting. I originally made the foam insulation box computer fan route, but changing the ice out got old, so I got the chest freezer and temp controller with some christmas money. I love it so far and did my first lager recently.

I have a couple of coolers that I stand up on their sides. they fit one carboy each pretty perfectly and I switch out a couple of frozen water bottle every now and then.
I will eventually go the chest freezer route, but for now I dont have the space in my town house. (they are in the extra bathroom right now.) My beer has been much improved since I have been fermenting in the 65-68 degree range vs the 73-75 degree range. This also allows me to pack it with Ice block and I can get it down to about 45-50 degrees for a few days for my version of a cold crash. It is not as good as a regulated chest freezer, but it works well.

Thanks everyone for sharing your set-ups and advice. Agodfrey, do you keep your fermenter in the chest for the whole time your beer is in the primary?

As of right now I do because I have 2 coolers and have not had more than 2 batches going at one time, but I don't think it is necessary after primary fermentation is done. Maybe someone else can confirm this...

Back