question about fermentation. First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corster

Reaction score
I just recently started a beer and I am kind of concerned about the fermentation or the lack there of this early. I got it fermenting about 5 days ago and for the first 36 hours it was bubbling and going great. About halfway through the second day though it stopped. I did not panic thought I took a hydro reading and let it continue to do its thing. However now that I have done that my hydo readings have been about the same for the last few days. Its at about 4% alc at about 1.02 specific gravity. What should I do?

Hi Corster -

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first batch! Here is hoping there are many more to come :)

Tough to diagnose a solution without some more information:
1) What kind of beer did you make?
2) Was it all grain, extract, or partial mash?
3) What kind of yeast did you use? Did you do a starter or just pitch from the bag?
4) What is the temperature of the room you're in? Is it possibly too hot or cold?

My best guess without knowing all the facts is that you just had a quick fermentation and there are no problems. Especially with the 1.02 gravity reading. I can make a better educated guess with all of the above answers.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

It should also be noted that it isn't "done fermenting" by any means. The pretty sound of the airlock doesn't mean fermentation has finished. It just means the fermentation has slowed and not as much CO2 is being released. Don't rush to secondary or bottle quite yet...

1) Irish stout
2) Partial mash
3) dry and I did pitch it from the bag...
4) The room stays at about 72 rather consistently

I also have been doing more research and though my instructions say the fermentation (being my first batch I am only doing single) should take about 2 weeks it seems this is not uncommon if this is correct.

It should also be noted that it isn't "done fermenting" by any means. The pretty sound of the airlock doesn't mean fermentation has finished. It just means the fermentation has slowed and not as much CO2 is being released. Don't rush to secondary or bottle quite yet...

right it is more the the consistant hydrometer readings I am concerned about but thank you for the reply it is nice to know there are people out there to help!

Back