Question about entering competitions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDingleberry

Reaction score
I brewed an extract Russian Imperial Stout that I would like to enter in some competitions mostly just for feedback. The question I have, is will you be penalized for not meeting the "vital statistics"? Under the BJCP guidelines, it says that the beer should have an ABV of 8-12% and mine is only 7.2%.

Even if you are penalized, if your goal is feedback then that shouldn't be a problem right? You can just ignore that penalty and focus on what else the judges have to say.

Even if you are penalized, if your goal is feedback then that shouldn't be a problem right? You can just ignore that penalty and focus on what else the judges have to say.

This is true, but I was afraid it may be disqualified right from the start for not meeting the guidelines. I've never entered a competition before.

You could enter it as a Bohemian Pilsner and it wouldn't be "disqualified", they'd still judge it. Then a good judge will tell you, "This would have been better entered as xxxxx style".

I wouldn't worry about it. You're talking about less than 1%. You'll still get good feedback. The thing about competitions is that the beer has to stand out to style. That's why you hear folks like Jamil talking about brewing to the upper end of the style. The beer is not only to style but stands out as an ideal example of the style. The reality is that there are some REALLY good beers out there that aren't to style or are not the top example of the style. That doesn't mean they aren't really tasty beers.

I have seen beers not brewed "to style" do well in competition or when commented on by skilled tasters/judges... For instance, I made a Doppelbock at a pub where I used to brew, the OG was a little low, but I mashed hot and used something like 70-75% Munich malt. It had the malt character to back up the name and a German trained buddy of mine was seriously impressed. Submit it and see what happens... in fact, why not submit the same beer in a couple different categories (if allowed to) and see what comments you get back?

neovox said:
I wouldn't worry about it. You're talking about less than 1%. You'll still get good feedback. The thing about competitions is that the beer has to stand out to style. That's why you hear folks like Jamil talking about brewing to the upper end of the style. The beer is not only to style but stands out as an ideal example of the style. The reality is that there are some REALLY good beers out there that aren't to style or are not the top example of the style. That doesn't mean they aren't really tasty beers.

I would believe Jamil, he IS the man. I was just thinking the opposite when considering what I would do for a competition brew ( not done it yet but I'm very interested). I was thinking that brewing to the low spec of the range would tend towards hiding any off notes. People tend to note things that stand out and ignore allot of the background.

Back