Question about broken thermometer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Rufus-

Reaction score
Hello folks.

I started brewing my first batch yesterday, but from the get go I started to experience complications.

While boiling the grain mash I used a thermometer, a red true brew floating thermometer which broke on me on its first use. It spilled some sort of shot into the mash including some resin and glass. The thermometer itself didnt break and leaked no murcury. All that got into the mash was a tiny bit of glass, afew kernals of shot, and a bit of glass from the tip. We decided to continue anyway and the wort if fermenting in the closet as normal. But I am unsure of how to procede.

We filtered the mash very diligently, about 4 or 5 times with a very fine filter, one normaly used for filtering coffee. I am certain there is no glass or shot left in the wort.

But I am still concerned, Im not sure of the shot used in the thermometer was lead or not. Nor am I sure of how that will effect the brew. I dont want to brew toxic beer.

Should i dump the batch or keep it going?

I am fairly certain the shot is lead. No idea what the resin holding it in place is. The liquid inside the thermometer stem itself is not mercury (I know you did not break that part) it is alcohol (not drinking though) based.

That'll be your call but I would not want to risk it myself.

Man, Those things are fragile aren't they!? :(

The shot is steel, it's held in place by wax, and the red stuff is alcohol. Your only worry is broken glass.

I stand corrected. Though, one of the many I broke made a right mess and spilled shot all over the kitchen floor. I tried to use a magnet to pick it up and it did not work. Guess that is why I assumed lead.

Latest posts

Back