question about a yooper recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zbeeblebrox

Reaction score
ok so this is Yoopes redhook ESB clone recipe I'm gonna try probably this weekend.
the question is what type of LME and DME to use. morebeer.com (my LHBS) has a couple different types, so the question is what type to use. i ask this is only my second batch and I'm still an idiot =)

6 pounds LME
1 lb DME
1 lb 60L crystal

1 oz Tettnanger hops 60 minutes
1 oz Willamette hops 60 minutes
1 oz Willamette hops 20 minutes
1 oz Tettnanger hops 2 minutes.

Steep grains at 150 degrees in 2.5 gallons water for 15-20 minutes. Remove grains and add extracts. Bring to a boil, and add 1 oz each of Willamette and Tettnanger hops. At 20 minutes left in the boil, add 1 oz Willamette hops. Add 1 oz Tettnanger hops will 2 minutes left in the boil.

i also want to thank Yooper for the recepie.:mug:

Light or amber would be my guess.

I hear what you're saying though, for the longest time my mind would register those as light or dark not liquid or dry. :drunk:

Then if figured out there was a difference in amount of fermentable you obtain, and then of course my mind also switched to the "well great, what kind should I be using". The style is usually the best guide unless they are achieving the color from steeped grains.

GaryA said:
Light or amber would be my guess.

I hear what you're saying though, for the longest time my mind would register those as light or dark not liquid or dry. :drunk:

Then if figured out there was a difference in amount of fermentable you obtain, and then of course my mind also switched to the "well great, what kind should I be using". The style is usually the best guide unless they are achieving the color from steeped grains.
thanks =)
yeah i am slowly learning everything i need to know. so in about 40 years i think i may be set.

and on that note morebeer says that the Tettnanger hops are out of stock so what would be a good substitute hop if i cant get a hold of the Tettnanger?

zbeeblebrox said:
thanks =)
yeah i am slowly learning everything i need to know. so in about 40 years i think i may be set.

and on that note morebeer says that the Tettnanger hops are out of stock so what would be a good substitute hop if i cant get a hold of the Tettnanger?

The WIKI says Fuggle, Czech Saaz, Spalt, Spalter, Ultra are all potential substitutes for Tettnanger. Gotta respect the WIKI! As a side note, I am a big fan of Fuggles, although they may also be hard to find. You can also ask what they recommend at the LHBS. Cheers!

Light and amber sound like good choices. I suggest Light LME and Amber DME, or even all light extract. The crystal will give you some nice color, plus the extract will darken some depending on your boil. You can add the DME and half the LME at the start of the boil, then add the rest of the LME as a late addition.

Fuggles is a good choice as your hop substitution. I also get a kick out of morebeer.com being your "local" homebrew shop :D

Back