quality of brew with forced carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdiver

Reaction score
I just brewed a great Alaskan Amber clone. Perfect creamy head and residual carbonation. I used DME to prime the bottles. I am thinking of going to a kegging system, with forced carbonation instead of priming. Will I get the same quality of carbonation and head if I do this?

The differences are so minor that most people can't tell any difference at all. You can still prime with dme in the kegs and just use the gas to push it if you really prefer.

What he said. I primed a keg scottish just now and the head was super creamy. The hefe I kegged wasn't as creamy but it might just be the style. I have a ESB that I'm force carbing and I'll let you know the comparison. (I know, style difference)

There's bunches of debate about this on both beer and sparkling wines/champagne. Outside of possible differences, part of it will just come down to the convenience of force carbing. And of course, you can still prime in kegs and just use co2/nitrogen to dispense.

The best part will just be having the dispensing faucets and being able to pull whatever quantity you want at the time without having to go through the deal of bottling 50 or so bottles.

Back