Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i still have a case of this that i am dying to pop open in july. i just wanted to say HOLY MOLY I LOVE THIS FREAKING BEER!

this beer has been a big hit with all my friends - beer snobs and BMC drinkers alike

great flavor profile, great color and really great head and lacing :mug:

has some chill haze - but I just got an IC so hopefully should speed up cooling and help that problem for future batches

5554820288_69663db2a9.jpg

I'm planning on brewing this one up as my next beer. My LHBS only sells the 3.3 lb cans of extract so I was doing a little tinkering on Beercalculus to make sure things wouldn't get too out of whack if I used 6.6 lbs of LME instead of just 6. Looks fine, just a little more ABV, but while I was messing around I noticed that the IBU's that were calculated, were done so using a full 5-gal. boil. When I changed it to a 2-gal. boil the IBU's dropped way down. I had one member on the site tell me that the more concentrated wort yields less alpha acid attenuation. It looks like the software used here takes the 2 gal. boil into account for the final IBU's (20.6), but for this, and future recipes, I want to make sure that I get all the hop action that I think I am. So, any advice or info concerning this issue is greatly appreciated. I'll probably post a thread on the beginners forum as well, but since this beer sounds so good, I wanted to check in here as well. Really looking forward to this beer and want to make sure I get it right. Thanks.

So I answered my own question regarding the Beercalculus software. I didn't have the settings on the same IBU formula. It was on Tinseth instead of Rager. Interesting that the final IBU's for the recipe (for a 2.5 gal boil) was 20.9 with the Rager formula and about 9.7 with the Tinseth formula. Is there an overriding opinion on the correct formula to use for these things?

But the hop schedule is for a 2 gal boil, right? I know that's what the recipe says, I just want to make sure. I'm excited about this beer and want to make sure I've got it right. Thanks.

But the hop schedule is for a 2 gal boil, right? I know that's what the recipe says, I just want to make sure. I'm excited about this beer and want to make sure I've got it right. Thanks.

Actually, its 2.35gal or 2 gal, 44oz. I believe that was for boil liquid loss. This is what pro mash had calculated.

If you start 2.25 is not going to hurt much.

5 gallon keg was empty in less than 2 weeks. So id say this recipe was an absolute success.

I'm thinking of brewing this with a few minor alterations.

I was going to use DME instead of LME, because I have some on hand, and also to try to up the OG just a pinch. Because the DME is lighter in color I was wondering if it would be ok to increase the Special Roast to .35 or .40 lbs to compensate- This keeps the color close according to BeerSmith, at around 10.4.

I'm using 5lbs even of Briess Extra Light DME - this brings the OG up just a tad to 1.049 - Do you think this would turn out pretty close to the original recipe or can someone give me a better suggestion?

I have Safale-S04 on hand as well - would it be ok to use or should I stick with the Wyeast or Nottingham?

Thanks in advance for dealing with my noobidness. =]

I'm thinking of brewing this with a few minor alterations.

I was going to use DME instead of LME, because I have some on hand, and also to try to up the OG just a pinch. Because the DME is lighter in color I was wondering if it would be ok to increase the Special Roast to .35 or .40 lbs to compensate- This keeps the color close according to BeerSmith, at around 10.4.

I'm using 5lbs even of Briess Extra Light DME - this brings the OG up just a tad to 1.049 - Do you think this would turn out pretty close to the original recipe or can someone give me a better suggestion?

I have Safale-S04 on hand as well - would it be ok to use or should I stick with the Wyeast or Nottingham?

Thanks in advance for dealing with my noobidness. =]

If you use a brewing calculator and hit the color and ibu targets, then little tweaks here and there make the results nearly identical. Use notty.

If you don't have a brewing calculator use : http://www.recipator.com

Thanks, Schlenkerla. I was pretty certain but wanted some reassurance from a pro.

I'm gonna have a double brew night and get this and a second batch of hefe going. I'll add my experiences with this recipe to the long list when I've got something to report.

Good! I hope it works out for you, two brews in one night is ambitious. Lay off the beer until you add the first hop addition on batch two.

:mug:

Be advised that I don't always follow my own advise. :D

I brewed this recipe in March and will be brewing it again in a few weeks with the intention of giving half away as Christmas presents. My brew wasn't as red as I was hoping for (more of an orange color), and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for how to make it a little more red. I'm thinking of maybe adding an ounce or two of black malt. Thoughts?

Brewed a modified partial-mash version of this last night and pitched right at midnight!

2.5# light LME
7# 2-row
6 oz biscuit
4 oz crystal 10L
4 oz carapils
2 oz chocolate

1.75 oz EKG 4.5% 60 min
1.00 oz Willamette 4.8% 1 min

Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast 1084 - 16 oz starter
Gypsum
Irish Moss

Mashed at 155, sparged at 168

The HBS didn't have special roast and claimed that it is the same as biscuit. So I just upped the biscuit to 6oz and omitted the special roast.

Hope it turns out well! It has a forceful bubbling going on in the blow off bucket.

special roast helps with the red hue as well?

good to know, my lhbs didn't have it so I had to sub when i brewed this but have since used 1-2oz roasted barley in a few other recipes for color

I'm sorry I was wrong. Special Roast is more brown....

I used some caraaroma instead of roasted barley, it's much more red and allegedly caraaroma has a better flavor profile for an irish red.

I looked at a lot of different irish red recipes, decided to formulate my own AG for a mini-BIAB AG (my first). Everything went great so far, now it just needs to pass the taste test!

I've been following this thread for a while, and have decided to give it a whirl! I should be brewing Schlenkeria's Original recipie this weekend.

Also, this will be my first batch since my conversion from Mr. Beer. (Hooray!)

Super Excited to get this in the carboy!

Well, as of Friday, it's in the carboy and bubbling hapily away!

Man does this think have a deep dark amber color! It's Beautiful! O.G. came out perfect at 1.047. I did throw in some irish moss in the boil, and I plan to add gelatin into the secondary. I'm a stikler for a clear beer!

Also, for future reference, would there be any disadvantage to adding ice directly to the wort to cool it? As long as I still had correct volume, the only downside would be possible risk of bacteria right? or would there be other ill effects of quickly cooling the wort?

Thanks-

Nah, if you got ice throw it in the sink with cold water. Then put the kettle with the partial boil wort in the sink with the ice bath. I started out this way before I got a chiller. You can also use ice cold bottled water too. The later can get you very close, sometimes its too good.

See my chiller DIY thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/simple-immersion-wort-chiller-33036/

Well Due to some unforseen circumstances, I am just racking this to secondary tonight. (10 days instead of 7) I figure is shouldn't hurt anything. I am still planning 2 weeks in secondary, then another 3 in bottles.

Cheers!

Tim

Well Due to some unforseen circumstances, I am just racking this to secondary tonight. (10 days instead of 7) I figure is shouldn't hurt anything. I am still planning 2 weeks in secondary, then another 3 in bottles.

Cheers!

Tim

Not a problem! Just less sediment to get in the 2ndary!!!!

This is my 6K post!!!! :rockin:

Damn, I think I screwed mine up a bit. I think I measured wrong and used too much chocolate malt .3 or .4 lb versus .13. Beer is looking more brown than red. Oh well, I guess it will be an Irish Brown instead of an Irish red.

Damn, I think I screwed mine up a bit. I think I measured wrong and used too much chocolate malt .3 or .4 lb versus .13. Beer is looking more brown than red. Oh well, I guess it will be an Irish Brown instead of an Irish red.

It'll still be good. :rockin:

Just brewed this a week ago and transferred to secondary last night. LOOK, SMELLS AND TASTES AWESOME! (and that was flat and warm!) :rockin:
Can't wait to keg it!

Any suggestions on what to force carb this at?

Just brewed this a week ago and transferred to secondary last night. LOOK, SMELLS AND TASTES AWESOME! (and that was flat and warm!) :rockin:
Can't wait to keg it!
Any suggestions on what to force carb this at?

How about 10-12psi. Whatever to get about 1.5 volumes of co2.

I'm looking for a recipe to use up a few OZ of EKG that i have. Will this recipe suffer if I take out the Willamette, and sub with more goldings?

No, it wont suffer......or no, don't do it? Lol

I was implying that you should do it with your hop substitution. Just check the alpha acids and calculate the ibu so you add the right amount during the boil. If you do that your beer will be pretty much identical.

Back