Qeustion about my hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcvay131

Reaction score
So I brewed up my hefe the other night and I ended up with a stuck sparge I believe is what it's called where your wort stops draining while you sparge. So I didn't know how to fix it or get it flowing again so I pored it out into another bucket made bigger holes in my drain tube for my mash tun, put it all back together then put my mash back it the tun. It started flowing again and so I continued my sparge. So this is my first question will that of just messed up everything or should it turn out fine and second I boiled the wort threw in my hops and wasn't able to get my hops sepsrated before I put it in the fermenter with that screw things up also?

jmcvay131 said:
So I brewed up my hefe the other night and I ended up with a stuck sparge I believe is what it's called where your wort stops draining while you sparge. So I didn't know how to fix it or get it flowing again so I pored it out into another bucket made bigger holes in my drain tube for my mash tun, put it all back together then put my mash back it the tun. It started flowing again and so I continued my sparge. So this is my first question will that of just messed up everything or should it turn out fine and second I boiled the wort threw in my hops and wasn't able to get my hops sepsrated before I put it in the fermenter with that screw things up also?

Everything will be fine but keep in mind that you most likely will have more trub in the primary and a little less beer to package. This is important to note as when you go to bottle you will need to properly calculate your priming sugar for the actual volume you bottle-assuming you bottle.

Next time use a good handful or two of rice hulls to help with the mash!

I used them on Thursday to brew a hefe, 20 lb grain bill I added a lb of them saw no problems with the wheat gumming up my mash tun. My grist was 60/40 it went very smooth. Def add some next time I prob went overkill though but with this being my second attempt at a 10 lb I didn't want the same problem I had last time

Back