Putting hot wort on a refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Does it ruin it? Does it give accurate readings? I assume the minimal amount of liquid cools down rather quickly.

What's the best method for checking your mash/mid-boil gravity with a refractometer?

i just take a few drops, put on the refract (yes it cools quickly), and take my readings. I've been using mine ~ 2 years and the only thing I noticed throws it off is if the refractometer itself is really cold. I keep my equipment in the garage which can be just 45 in the winter so I have to bring the refract inside the night before and try and keep it around 60-70 while brewing. keeping it in my pocket works pretty well unless its really cold out. I still like to double check my OG into the carboy with a hydrometer, FWIW.

Yep. A single drop of wort cools quickly on the prism. If you look quick, you can see the reading change as it cools. To me, the refractometer is to be sure I'm in the ballpark pre-boil. I depend on the hydrometer for true OG reading.

I do what I've seen "real" brewers do on TV. Dip your stirring spoon into the wort and let a few drops fall on the meter. Works fine for me too....

Mine came with a disposable pipette - so I bought a box of them off Amazon. Prob'ly a lifetime supply.

It takes about a minute longer to come to a reasonable temp, but I have dipped my refractometer right I to the kettle dozens of times with no issue. 212 doesn't seem to be hot enough to hurt them at all

I use the "wine thief" mine came with to take hot samples to measure... I noticed though that sometimes the reading changes in the first minute or so. perhaps this is from cooling. They are no where near 212 when deposited on the prism since it cools so quickly.

when cooling (I recirc cool right now, could change) i just dip mine in the sanitizer, then put it under the wort stream going back in the pot to get a reading.

Same here, but the question is why are you sampling boiling wort?

Short answer is because I can. That's why I have a refractometer. I check pre-boil gravity and then again a few minutes before flame out to be sure I'm on target. After cooling, I take a hydro sample.

Short answer is because I can. That's why I have a refractometer. I check pre-boil gravity and then again a few minutes before flame out to be sure I'm on target. After cooling, I take a hydro sample.

+1 on this. I've seen minor, albeit notable changes in my boil-rate dependent on atmospheric temp. Sometimes I'll need to cut short/extend my boil to hit target gravity – even if it's just for a few minutes.

Latest posts

Back