Pushed the limits with Crystal additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighHops

Reaction score
Here's the recipe I brewed:

8lbs 2-row, 47%
4lbs Crystal 40L, 24%
3lbs Munich Malt, 18%
1lb Carapils, 6%
1lb Flaked Rye, 6%

S05 yeast

1 oz Amarillo - 60min
1oz Amarillo - 30min
1oz Amarillo - 5 min

Yes, I severely pushed the envelope by using 30% crystal malts in my beer. I brewed this 6 weeks ago and have it carbed up in the keg. I've drank about 5 pints off of the keg to date. I was expecting the cloying sweetness that it so often related to overuse of crystal. However, the dominant flavor on the back end of this beer is a BBQ/smoky flavor. It's drinkable, though not at all desirable. The smoky flavor is just too much. Maybe it will fade with time?

Has anyone else attributed a smoke flavor to using too much crystal malts??

everytime I use even slightly too much crystal, I simply cant drink them. wet sweet in beers aint for me

every time I use even slightly too much crystal, I simply cant drink them. wet sweet in beers aint for me

Is Carapils a true crystal malt?

Pete's Wicked Brown ale used a very high percentage of C60L. Some of the altbier and southern brown ale recipes can end up with some pretty steep amounts too.

could it be the combo of the too much crystal and the rye?

You may be on to something. It's rare I use rye so I'm not very familiar with the tasting notes.

If you're intentionally looking to brew a smoked amber ale, look at recipe above :ban: :drunk:

I take back what I said about this beer being drinkable. That is a stretch. I think I may have to dump this batch. Chalk it up as another lesson learned experience in homebrewing

C'mon dude....don't dump. I just did the same thing with an IPA and still finished 10 gallons in 4 weeks. DRINK IT!!!!

C'mon dude....don't dump. I just did the same thing with an IPA and still finished 10 gallons in 4 weeks. DRINK IT!!!!

Why? don't you want to drink good tasting beer over not good tasting beer....

i dont get the never dump your beer thing.... pro breweries do it all the time when they make a bad batch.... i do it too when it doesnt come out the way i like. id rather drink something good than something bad. its not hard to make more beer.

Use it to blend with a light beer. I don't get why homebrewers don't blend beer more often!

Why? don't you want to drink good tasting beer over not good tasting beer....

i dont get the never dump your beer thing.... pro breweries do it all the time when they make a bad batch.... i do it too when it doesnt come out the way i like. id rather drink something good than something bad. its not hard to make more beer.

I'm half kidding with you but in this case it was almost $100 to make the batch and it probably wasn't as gnarly as yours. I'm just stubborn too....it'd have to be pretty bad for me to dump. I brewed a blind pig recipe and it was very bad, but again, I just couldn't dump so I put down 10 gallons of it. Trick is to start with a good IPA then transition to the poo....lol

I need to bookmark this thread to refer others to it when asking for feedback on their +20% crystal IPAs

Just add some Brett and let it age for 6 months. Then give it a taste. It'll probably be a completely different beer

It's official, I dumped the beer down the drain last night. I just couldn't drink it, no matter what I mixed or added to the beer.

Here's the recipe I brewed:

8lbs 2-row, 47%
4lbs Crystal 40L, 24%
3lbs Munich Malt, 18%
1lb Carapils, 6%
1lb Flaked Rye, 6%

S05 yeast

1 oz Amarillo - 60min
1oz Amarillo - 30min
1oz Amarillo - 5 min

Yes, I severely pushed the envelope by using 30% crystal malts in my beer. I brewed this 6 weeks ago and have it carbed up in the keg. I've drank about 5 pints off of the keg to date. I was expecting the cloying sweetness that it so often related to overuse of crystal. However, the dominant flavor on the back end of this beer is a BBQ/smoky flavor. It's drinkable, though not at all desirable. The smoky flavor is just too much. Maybe it will fade with time?

Has anyone else attributed a smoke flavor to using too much crystal malts??

I take back what I said about this beer being drinkable. That is a stretch. I think I may have to dump this batch. Chalk it up as another lesson learned experience in homebrewing

So...what happened overnight to make this beer undrinkable?

I think I was trying to convince myself early on that the beer wasn't as bad as it really was. But the more I drank the more that smoke flavor sat on my tongue, leaving an awful taste in my mouth that I began to associate with the beer. I tried masking it with a lime which seemed to help a bit, but that smoke taste would still emerge and linger on the tongue.

It wasn't worth it to me to continue to drink ****ty beer. Made more sense for me to dump it and move on.

I think I was trying to convince myself early on that the beer wasn't as bad as it really was. But the more I drank the more that smoke flavor sat on my tongue, leaving an awful taste in my mouth that I began to associate with the beer. I tried masking it with a lime which seemed to help a bit, but that smoke taste would still emerge and linger on the tongue.

It wasn't worth it to me to continue to drink ****ty beer. Made more sense for me to dump it and move on.

did you try mixing it with a light beer, dare i say even a bmc beer? then you could've at least known if you just brew a super light lager brewed the hard way that you could mix the two.

I did not mix with a light beer. Not a bad idea, but personally I'd rather just dump and move on to brewing my next batches.

I have a sickly sweet high alcohol beer in a keg. I tried drinking it and drank more than I would have liked due to lack of any others ready at the time. I am now using it in baking a No Knead Beer Bread recipe. But it only requires about 12 ounces per loaf.

I think I will mix some with my brown ale and see what happens.

I have a sickly sweet high alcohol beer in a keg. I tried drinking it and drank more than I would have liked due to lack of any others ready at the time. I am now using it in baking a No Knead Beer Bread recipe. But it only requires about 12 ounces per loaf.

I think I will mix some with my brown ale and see what happens.

Pull some off and add some bugs!!

I don't know why you guys don't mix beers. We have classics like half and half or mother in law that you can ask for in the pub. I really like a half and half of mild and bitter...

Latest posts

Back