Purchasing a 1HP aquarium chiller...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c3hutson

Reaction score
I have to opportunity to pick up a lightly used 1HP aquarium chiller for $425. This retails online brand new for ~$1200, so I feel like it's a steal.

Specs:
-Coralife Aquarium Chiller 1 HP - 8.0-8.3 AMPS
-For Aquariums up to 400 gallons
-Recommended pump flow rate 1,000 - 2,000 gph
-Coralife Aquarium Chiller 1/2 HP - 5.6-6.0 AMPS
-For Aquariums up to 250 gallons
-Recommended pump flow rate 750 - 1.500 gph
-Keeps water within +/- 2 degrees F of set temperature
-Simple to install and maintain - includes reusable air filter
-Easy one-step programming via digital LED display
-Titanium heat exchanger won't corrode
-Adjustable inlet and outlet connections allow for hose attachment from any angle

Might seem a little overkill considering the success I've seen people have with smaller units, but I plan on making a huge reservoir to use as cooling for several conicals and my draft trunk line from my basement so this basically makes me futureproof.

I will keep this thread updated as I begin the build, but for now I want to start out with some of my plans and ask for a little insight from those who have some experience with these units.

The fermentor: We are buying a 27 gallon blichmann tri-clamp conical this week for our first conical. I plan to fashion a stainless coil that attaches to a corney keg lid to attach to the top of the conical in a way that is reversible and easy to remove for cleaning. I DO NOT intend to insulate the exterior of the conical. These conicals are expensive and functional as well as beautiful, so I don't mind losing efficiency in lieu of aesthetics. The majority of you will think this is stupid, but that's an entirely different conversation.

Cooling solution: The person that I am buying this from used a 70/30 water:glycol solution for the cooling loop for a medical marijuana setup. I plan to use the same solution.

Pump: This thing needs a big pump. 1,000-2,000 GPH! I've actually had good luck with HF pumps, so I might just get something like THIS and slap a warranty on it. I would place this right in the glycol reservoir bath.

Reservoir: I think I'm going to use a giant picnic cooler. Something that isn't hideous. At the pump rate of 1,000+ gallons per hour I am not sure that I need any sort of heat exchanger in the glycol bath. Any thoughts?

Questions:
1. Does anyone know if it is possible to "trick" these chillers to go even lower temperatures? This model says it will chill to 39F, but I'd like to be able to go lower.

I appreciate all the feedback!

Chad

I have been looking at doing something very similar and would be interested in hearing any success or failure stories from other folks. Smaller units seem to be all over craigslist around here from the 1/10 up to 3/4 HP.

My idea is to use one (or more) chillers to either an insulated tank reservoir or a large cooler, then use one Johnson temp controller and another pump per conical through a stainless coil immersed in each. I have the same question on if there is any way to get these things to chill lower. There isn't much info on any of the mfg websites on what temp ranges they cover and I would hate to have to bust one open to override the built in sensor/controller. The other option is to pick up a beer line chiller instead but these aquarium chillers seem so cheap and plentiful...

I have been looking at doing something very similar and would be interested in hearing any success or failure stories from other folks. Smaller units seem to be all over craigslist around here from the 1/10 up to 3/4 HP.

My idea is to use one (or more) chillers to either an insulated tank reservoir or a large cooler, then use one Johnson temp controller and another pump per conical through a stainless coil immersed in each. I have the same question on if there is any way to get these things to chill lower. There isn't much info on any of the mfg websites on what temp ranges they cover and I would hate to have to bust one open to override the built in sensor/controller. The other option is to pick up a beer line chiller instead but these aquarium chillers seem so cheap and plentiful...

Your thoughts are basically exactly in line with mine.

I got it home, ended up paying $425 which I'm alright with. It is a little rough around the edges but appears to be perfectly functional SO FAR.

I ended up with this pump. Got it for $40 after using the standard harbor freight coupon (20% off an item).

I'm doing a test right now. Started with 7 gallons of water at 85F. I'm at about 15 minutes and I'm down to 56F. Looks promising so far!

IMG_0379.jpg

I'm doing a test right now. Started with 7 gallons of water at 85F. I'm at about 15 minutes and I'm down to 56F. Looks promising so far!
If you throttle the pump back a little (to about 1/2 or 1/3 flow), you should get a much better cooling effect, 1300gph flow is way too fast for effective heat transfer

Love seeing crazy DIY chiller setups, and look forward to following your build. I have a few thoughts, ideas, and questions. I have a degree in mechanical engineering but no experience in chiller design, so consider me a noob.

Before I look like an idiot, how does your system work? You have the chiller that controls the flow? Or the pump? Are you going to have diff zones, how will that be controlled?

If you throttle the pump back a little (to about 1/2 or 1/3 flow), you should get a much better cooling effect, 1300gph flow is way too fast for effective heat transfer

The chiller recommends 1,000-2,000 GPH. Apparently if you don't have it running fast enough, the water actually cools down TOO fast and it will trigger an early shutdown. That being said, I took the front panel off and already found the temperature probe that the unit uses. It pull right out of its mounting spot (in a small tank). All I plan on doing is mounting it outside of the tank near the compressor so it is essentially always warmer than the setpoint (ie always activated). I'm then going to use an STC-1000 in the reservoir itself to kick on the chiller and the pump at the same time (so the pump doesn't have to run full time, which is how it would be right now). I would then be able to throttle it back and gain some heat transfer efficiency... I think.

Before I look like an idiot, how does your system work? You have the chiller that controls the flow? Or the pump? Are you going to have diff zones, how will that be controlled?

The chiller has no integrated pump. In a typical application, the aquarium would gravity feed into the chiller via a sump and a pump at the outlet would feed the chilled water back into the tank.

I am using an 80 qt. cooler for a glycol reservoir. The pump is actually house inside of the reservoir which continually feeds the chiller with glycol. There will be an STC 1000 thermostat controlling this reservoir at a constant temperature.

Each conical will have its own STC-1000 as well as a dedicated pump in the reservoir. When a conical needs chilling, its respective pump will kick on and it will recirculate the chilled reservor glycol through the conical immersion chiller.

Each conical will have its own STC-1000 as well as a dedicated pump in the reservoir. When a conical needs chilling, its respective pump will kick on and it will recirculate the chilled reservor glycol through the conical immersion chiller.

What was the reason for you to use one pump for each fermenter?
I use one pump for all my fermenters and direc acting solenoids to control the flow to each fermenter, the pump runs 24/7.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Harbor freight pumps are cheap. I assumed those solenoids are crazy expensive, plus I am starting with one conical so I figured this was the easiest, cheapest and most efficient for now

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No chiller updates as of yet, waiting to get the stainless immersion chiller coil to finish the project. Here are some pics to keep you all occupied. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394164464.866325.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394164476.822441.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394164490.977029.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

First batch in the conical. Makeshift heater until I figure out what I will actually do for heating (thinking about a huge submersible aquarium heater).

Chiller build updates coming this week. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394346332.470889.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394346359.893845.jpg

Any update? I'm very interested in your setup. I've been thinking of hooking up a aquarium chiller to a jacketed conical. Still considering possibilities.

I finally got around to ordering the stainless immersion chiller coil from Stainless Brewing. I'll take some pictures and update the thread when I get that!

Chad

I use an aquarium chiller on a 150 qt chest cooler filled with glycol solution. I then just drop my fermenters into the cooler and set the thermostat on the chiller for whatever temp I want. I do check the temp with my Thermapen from time-to-time, but I have never seen a difference of more than 1 degree F. Once you get it recirculating it chills quickly.

I have been thinking about doing a similar thing with immersion coils in the fermenter, but my entire brewing setup is definitely "temporary" right now, so I am going to stick with what I've got until we get a different house where I have room to set up something more permanent.

Having used a cooler like that, do you think putting it on a closed system from the chiller to a jacketed conical would work? It would probably only recycle 1/2 gallon of glycol.

I was thinking I would only have it turn on when it started to get to hot with a digital ranco controller on the pump and chiller.

Having used a cooler like that, do you think putting it on a closed system from the chiller to a jacketed conical would work? It would probably only recycle 1/2 gallon of glycol.

I was thinking I would only have it turn on when it started to get to hot with a digital ranco controller on the pump and chiller.

There is a local brewery that uses essentially this system for chilling their fermenters. Actually, they have one big loop that goes around the ceiling of the brewery, and then actuated valves that control flow into each individual fermenter's cooling jacket, that are hooked up to their own respective temperature controllers.

Latest posts

Back