Puppy Name for Golden/Black Lab - Warning - Adorable Puppy Pictures to follow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What name should we choose?

• Kai

• Bruin

• Guinness

• Mylo

Results are only viewable after voting.

FiddlersGreen87

Reaction score
We're trying to pick a name for our new puppy. We got him last night, he was free, and is only 4.5lbs. The owner of the mom said he was "7 weeks," but there's no way. Our other golden was 16 lbs at 8.5 weeks. We think he's more like 5 weeks.

The mom had two litters back to back accidentally and she was super skinny due to the toll nursing had taken on her. I think this is why they were getting rid of them early. We're taking great care of him, and we need help picking a name.

By the way, crate training is so miserable.

Name explanations:

Kai - Is the 2nd half of our other dog's name that we don't use. Her name is Lani, and she's named after our favorite beach in Hawaii where we used to live. (Lanikai is a beach on the east side of Oahu) It'd be kind of cool to be able to use the 2nd half of the name since he's a a boy and it'd fit.

Bruin - We're huge Boston Bruins fans, and he looks like a little black bear.

Guinness - Don't think this requires much explanation.

Mylo - I've always loved this name for a boy dog since I was a kid and saw The Mask.

Ary or Arie - Arya Stark's name when disguised as a boy from Game of Thrones. Fan-boy-ish... whatever.

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

PITA, because no matter how cute, well mannered or adorable he is right now, there will be several times you will refer to him as a Pain In The Ask! :D

Cangrats. There is nothing better than a new puppy in the house!

Bruin as in Bru'n? That would get my vote.

Now "bruin" is really Dutch/Flemish for "brown."
Oud Bruin = Old Brown (and sour or sourish).

Very cute pup! Wish they didn't get larger than 4x that size :D

Guinness is the most unoriginal name a dog can have.

I've never met another dog named Guinness and I've met plenty of dogs all over the country, nor do I know of anyone with a dog named Guinness although I'm sure they exist.

Oh well in the spirit of the most over-exaggerated feedback a person can give as expected over the internet, thanks for your input. :drunk:

Bruin as in Boston Bruins. No one needs to know the part about it being specifically brown bears. Hopefully more people vote and help us decide. We're completely torn still.

Oh well in the spirit of the most over-exaggerated feedback a person can give as expected over the internet, thanks for your input. :drunk:

That's subdued for cheeze. In fact, there were no overuse of caps and punctuation - I'd say you got off easy.

I voted Mylo. I might steal that for my next dog. Cute dog, I'll volunteer right now for babysitting when you go out of town.

[...] Bruin as in Boston Bruins. No one needs to know the part about it being specifically brown bears. Hopefully more people vote and help us decide. We're completely torn still.

Well your cute pup isn't quite brown now, is he? But Bru'n is suitable in context of beer. And we already have Brew Dogs.

So my vote is for Bru'n, not Bruin.

I vote for Kai. In Cornish, Kai means dog, making it a utilitarian name. In Hawaiian it means ocean, so the name can also be symbolic.

You said Kai was used in the second half of your other dog's name? I'd do Arya Kai.
He is cute.

I vote for Kai. In Cornish, Kai means dog, making it a utilitarian name. In Hawaiian it means ocean, so the name can also be symbolic.

That's what I was going to say!

He looks like a Kai to me.

Of course, I have the most unoriginal dog names ever so maybe I'm not the best one to give advice! :D

Lanikai-beachfront-cottage-beach.jpg

That is Lanikai (Lawn-ih-Kai). It's a beach on Oahu (#4 beach in the world too). Anyway it was our favorite beach when we lived there, and we named our first golden who's 2 now Lani (Lawn-E) because of it, and she's from the island of Hawaii (aka Big Island).

Kai would be kind of cool because it could be the whole name, with both our dogs. My wife and I met and married in Hawaii, so it has some significance to us.

I think we've ruled out Guinness only because as much as I like the name due to his color, calling Guinness every where we go might sound a little odd.

I think we're leaning towards Bruin and Kai as the front runners at the moment.

I am a pet naming expert. I have named every pet in my family for the last 45+ years. After looking at the pictures and channeling the dog-naming spirits I have concluded that your dog should be called DINK.

You're welcome! :D

Dink of course! How could I have not thought of that... I'll go check with SWMBO... :cross:

I voted Kai, because Braukaiser is a really cool dude and smart brewer, and he goes by Kai.

Also, Kai is the name of the undead assasin in LEXX, which is a really cool and funny and sexy TV Show from a few years ago. He was the last of the Brunnen-G.

Also, Kai just sounds awesome when you say it. I think dogs respond well to sharp sounding names with easy-to-hear vowels and hard consonants. When he runs off and you have to call him back, Kai will carry farther then the others...

When puppies are taken from their mother early, they may miss the chance to learn not to bite. The mother will get after them when they try to suckle and their teeth hurt her. You might consider working with him on not biting. Along with encouraging him to chew CHEW TOYS, it will help keep him from wanting to chew other things. For most people, this is the more frustrating thing that can happen when they own a dog.

When puppies are taken from their mother early, they may miss the chance to learn not to bite. The mother will get after them when they try to suckle and their teeth hurt her. You might consider working with him on not biting. Along with encouraging him to chew CHEW TOYS, it will help keep him from wanting to chew other things. For most people, this is the more frustrating thing that can happen when they own a dog.

Thanks for the info on the nipping. I've actually got a 2 year old golden already. Golden retrievers are notorious for being vicious chewers. To this day my golden has only chewed 1 sock. We were relentless at positively reinforcing positive chewing (focusing on her toys or bones) which is completely engrained in her now. We leave stuff everywhere, shoes, bathroom trash cans, charging cables, etc, and she doesn't bother with anything other than her bones. We'll do the same thing with this little guy, and he's already shown many of the same characteristics that we saw in our 2 year old golden, so hopefully he is very similar in his temperament.

The other nice part is the younger dog will take on lessons from the older dog in most cases, and since our golden is excellently behaved, I'm optimistic that will rub off on the little guy as he develops.

I voted Kai, we have a border collie named kai, but its spelled caye, short for cayenne. good looking pup

Little guy still doesn't have a name lol. However him and our golden are getting along well. Unfortunately my wife is out of town until Wednesday and has been since this past Wed. It's tough being a single parent.... Seriously I'm so exhausted.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408109151.961626.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408109204.313798.jpg

Make no mistake. As cute as he is, he's a little bastard. Does about 2-3 bites on his rope if I'm holding it then lunges for my hand.

Make no mistake. As cute as he is, he's a little bastard. Does about 2-3 bites on his rope if I'm holding it then lunges for my hand.

All of my pups did that when they were young. It's their play instinct. I correct them by sticking my finger in their mouth and gagging them just slightly. Then play with them and let them know you are happy to play, but bite gently.

Much better then yelling or spanking.

My arms looked like Freddy Kruger's face for the first month after getting my current dog. He was a big-time biter. He's calmed down a lot, but he still likes to nip a little when he gets riled up. As soon as he does that I immediately stop playing with him and walk away. That usually calms him down.

Yea we use all the tricks. Unfortunately, it mostly comes down to him just being a puppy and they have to get past it. We are big advocates of bitter apples spray too. One more trick we use is the dominant position. Basically you flip the puppy (works on grown dogs too) place your hand on their chest and pin them and then hold their muzzle with your hand and put your nose to theirs staring them in the eyes until they surrender all fighting, squirming, whimpering, etc. Some dogs take longer than others, but eventually it works. This is huge with dominance issues like taking toys from the mouth, food bowls, and territorial issues.

First... the people who own the mother dog need to get her fixed.... that just isn't a cool thing to do to a female dog...

second... he's a really cute pup... I picked Bruin.... but I was thinking more like the bear usage....

Mylo is a pretty fun name also... I like dogs to have fun names..

Currently we have a Fozzy and a Diego.

Cute pup!

We have a black lab named Stephen. But he also answers to Moochies, Butt Head, and Stupid Steve depending on what he's up to. I suggest training him to respond to several names.

We've settled on Bruin. He's become quite the fireball and for the past week my wife has been out of town and i work long days so it's been a rough week. But here's another pic of the little bastard and our 2 year old golden, Lani.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408663189.379108.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1408663448.933044.jpg

Name him whatever, it won't matter. You will find yourself calling him waggy dog. I have 2 labs, the answer to waggy 1 and waggy 2 better than their actual name.

Oh, go ahead and clear off your coffee table.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My dog is a cat! When she first charmed her way into our lives(she was living on the streets, about 6 months old)I wanted to name her "Sammie" because I wasn't sure if she was a boy kitty or girl kitty at first and I thought that name could go either way. My husband however wanted to name her "****head" and I vetoed him on the name. 15 years later I'm still calling her "Sammie". She's a good cat.

Thought I'd throw up some new pictures of this little monster. He's tripled in size, he's about 12-14lbs now. He gets along great with his sister, although she'd probably say other wise as he routinely pulls clumps of fur off her tail, bites her face, and steals her toys which she allows.

She's probably the easiest going Golden ever, and just nudges him back when he goes too hard.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410880328.316976.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410880353.424587.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410880371.211260.jpg

Back