Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I'd be curious to hear if anybody else has noticed this.

sfgoat, you've never tasted this characteristic in your other brews?

EDIT: As far as brewing with darker sugars, I've recently moved to unprocessed sugars. Using a dark raw sugar instead of regular brown sugar might really help. I'll try it that way this year to see if that makes a difference.

I've never noticed it in another brew but this is the only time I've used brown sugar. I'll try it again this year without it and see.

Aside from making sure you give it at the very least 3 weeks in primary and at least a month in bottles/keg (should really be a couple months to really make it shine), you really don't need to follow a specific primary/secondary schedule. Aside from dry hopping I almost never use a secondary.

Silly question. I keg. When you say a month in the keg, which would be more ideal: 1 month in a room temperature keg with oxygen purged (I only have 2 taps so I don't want the kegerator room used up on something aging) or just adding an additional month in primary before kegging as usual?

EDIT: I should also mention that leaving in primary for an extra month is ideal because I'd have to buy another keg to allow for one to be aging beer. But I'd like to know which option is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I tried this last year and there was a flavor to it I didn't quite like. I think it might have been from the brown sugar but I'm not sure. Has anyone tried this without the brown sugar?
I've never added brown sugar at 60 min but brown sugar will fully ferment anyway, will up the ABV of the beer, and can lead to drying it out. However, I wonder if it was the 60 min addition and maybe it was scorched a bit? I've only added it at flame out and 15 minutes prior to flameout.

Silly question. I keg. When you say a month in the keg, which would be more ideal: 1 month in a room temperature keg with oxygen purged (I only have 2 taps so I don't want the kegerator room used up on something aging) or just adding an additional month in primary before kegging as usual?

EDIT: I should also mention that leaving in primary for an extra month is ideal because I'd have to buy another keg to allow for one to be aging beer. But I'd like to know which option is better.
I would keg it for the month, add priming sugar and let it naturally carbonate. Purge with CO2 still, but just sit at room temp. It should be just fine.

I've never added brown sugar at 60 min but brown sugar will fully ferment anyway, will up the ABV of the beer, and can lead to drying it out. However, I wonder if it was the 60 min addition and maybe it was scorched a bit? I've only added it at flame out and 15 minutes prior to flameout.

That could be. I can only describe the flavor as maybe molasses or it could be burnt sugar. Something to ponder on I suppose.

Molasses is what they use to make brown sugar and the taste you will get from fermented brown sugar most likely. If you don't like molasses then that is going to be the culprit in my opinion.

Not a silly question. The original post of this thread is using old techniques. Ideally, do both but go six or even eight weeks in primary. If that's not possible (i.e. trying to reach a deadline) do 4-6 weeks in primary and as long as possible in a purged keg at room temperature. Then give it a couple weeks to cold crash and drop the haze.... because hooooo-boy there will be haze for a while. You can choose to carb or to not during those couple weeks. But in a perfect world with patience and planning, I'd give it two months primary and 4-6 months in a keg at cellar temperatures.

That could be. I can only describe the flavor as maybe molasses or it could be burnt sugar. Something to ponder on I suppose.
Aha! This might actually be what you're experiencing. SWMBO is super extra vigilant about making sure nothing sticks to the bottom. Maybe try dissolving it in a side pot first.

So, apparently S-04 likes to heat up fast and ferment like mad! Temperature got away from me for maybe 12 hours or so; it hit 75 degrees. Whipped up an impromptu swamp cooler and got it back down to 66 degrees in a few hours. Hopefully won't have too many off flavors :confused:

Yeah, S-04 is a hardcore little beast. Plus, the fermentation will be extra vigorous due to the higher starting gravity.

I hope it works out for you. Luckily this beer needs to sit for a while anyway so hopefully if there are any off-flavors they will get cleaned up or at least masked.

So, apparently S-04 likes to heat up fast and ferment like mad! Temperature got away from me for maybe 12 hours or so; it hit 75 degrees. Whipped up an impromptu swamp cooler and got it back down to 66 degrees in a few hours. Hopefully won't have too many off flavors :confused:

That happened to me too, but mine (also with S-04) got up to 90 for a few hours!!!! After cooling it, I let it sit in the primary fermenter in the swamp cooler at 68 for 5 weeks. At bottling it did still have some serous fusel alcohol flavors, but after a month those flavors are gone. So hang in there and ride it out! It might turn out OK.

Unfortunately mine now tastes like black pepper (instead of pumpkin pie spice, I used a chai spice which is like 50% black pepper). So in a few more weeks (after another month) I'm going to try another little bottle and see if that's mellowed. Hopefully it'll be OK by thanksgiving.

Thanks for the great info, Pinzon. I was wondering about a slightly longer conditioning time to help things balance out.

Pumpkin ales are by far my favorite seasonal; I definitely have high hopes for this beer!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Brewing this up again tonight! After a stuck sparge last year, I cooked the pumpkin a little longer than before, and put it in a muslin bag. Currently fly sparging with no issues whatsoever! I'll post updates as the beer comes along. Excited about this one!

Brewing this up again tonight! After a stuck sparge last year, I cooked the pumpkin a little longer than before, and put it in a muslin bag. Currently fly sparging with no issues whatsoever! I'll post updates as the beer comes along. Excited about this one!

Awesome possum! Looking forward to the results.

Everything went well tonight! Only issue was that I boiled off too much, and bumped my OG up to 1.076. Woe is me. ;) other than that non-issue, everything looks and tastes great so far!

Would amber ale be the appropriate classic/base beer style for entering this into a BJCP event?

Planning on sending in this along with a cider and IPA into my first competition in September!

Would amber ale be the appropriate classic/base beer style for entering this into a BJCP event?

Planning on sending in this along with a cider and IPA into my first competition in September!

It would be 21a, spiced, herbed or vegetable.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It would be 21a, spiced, herbed or vegetable.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks, ChrisL. Still learning the ropes, but luckily I did get it into the right group. The thing I am unsure of is the following sentence from the 21a description in the 2008 BJCP rules:

" THE ENTRANT MUST SPECIFY THE UNDERLYING BEER STYLE AS WELL AS THE TYPE OF SPICES, HERBS, OR VEGETABLES USED. IF THIS BEER IS BASED ON A CLASSIC STYLE (E.G., BLONDE ALE) THEN THE SPECIFIC STYLE MUST BE SPECIFIED. CLASSIC STYLES DO NOT HAVE TO BE CITED (E.G., “PORTER” OR “WHEAT ALE” IS ACCEPTABLE). THE TYPE OF SPICES, HERBS, OR VEGETABLES MUST ALWAYS BE SPECIFIED."

Anybody brew this with lactose? I was thinking it may add a nice smooth, creaminess... Opinions?

Thanks, ChrisL. Still learning the ropes, but luckily I did get it into the right group. The thing I am unsure of is the following sentence from the 21a description in the 2008 BJCP rules:

" THE ENTRANT MUST SPECIFY THE UNDERLYING BEER STYLE AS WELL AS THE TYPE OF SPICES, HERBS, OR VEGETABLES USED. IF THIS BEER IS BASED ON A CLASSIC STYLE (E.G., BLONDE ALE) THEN THE SPECIFIC STYLE MUST BE SPECIFIED. CLASSIC STYLES DO NOT HAVE TO BE CITED (E.G., “PORTER” OR “WHEAT ALE” IS ACCEPTABLE). THE TYPE OF SPICES, HERBS, OR VEGETABLES MUST ALWAYS BE SPECIFIED."

Hmmmm...to tell you the truth I don't know for sure and I would not want to steer you wrong. I know the 21A is correct but would like to see if the OP or any other veterans would like to weigh in on what to select as the base beer for this.

I've entered this into competitions, every time in 21a. I was never asked to specify base style, just spices and pumpkin. I believe pumpkin ale is a standalone.

Sorry if this has already been covered. What If you added the baked pumpkin to the end of the mash & lightly mixed it into the top couple inches of the grain bed then fly sparged? It would have to help avoid a stuck sparge but would it affect the pumpkin flavor?

Nothing is worse on brew day than a stuck sparge. (Scalding water rates up there)

Yeast pitched and in the fermenter. I used a grain basket from Arbor fab for the mash. No stuck sparge but only 57% efficiency.

I've entered this into competitions, every time in 21a. I was never asked to specify base style, just spices and pumpkin. I believe pumpkin ale is a standalone.

Awesome, thanks Reno. I will let you know how it does; I have high hopes!

I brewed this this afternoon, most everything went well and it smelled really good.

Had a minor issue with my chiller, then my thermometer crapped out mid chill. I knew something was up when the temp started to increase....

My preboil gravity was 1.053(76% efficiency), post boil was 1.070.

Looking forward to drinking some!

Brewed yesterday with a 1 liter 1056 starter sitting in the fermentation chamber @65 bubbling away. Should be ready for my chili cook-off in October. Smells great

Thanks for posting your experiences, everybody. I look forward to everybody's first taste!

Sorry if this has already been covered. What If you added the baked pumpkin to the end of the mash & lightly mixed it into the top couple inches of the grain bed then fly sparged? It would have to help avoid a stuck sparge but would it affect the pumpkin flavor?

Nothing is worse on brew day than a stuck sparge. (Scalding water rates up there)
Can't say I've done that. Also can't say I've heard of anybody doing that. Maybe you should be the pioneer!

Just tasted the hydrometer sample, and holy moly was it amazing. The biscuity notes totally come through, and the spices are perfect.

Dried out to 1.012, but I don't mind. Also, I didn't notice any off flavors from the slightly higher fermentation temperature (75 degrees), but I am by no means a judge or anything.

Cannot wait to get this bottled!

Just tasted the hydrometer sample, and holy moly was it amazing. The biscuity notes totally come through, and the spices are perfect.

Dried out to 1.012, but I don't mind. Also, I didn't notice any off flavors from the slightly higher fermentation temperature (75 degrees), but I am by no means a judge or anything.

Cannot wait to get this bottled!

That's great to hear! And good news is if you're not getting any off flavors at this point then there should be nothing when it's drinkable! :mug:

Anybody brew this with lactose? I was thinking it may add a nice smooth, creaminess... Opinions?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'mbrewing in the next few days (as soon as I get the time) and am considering adding some lactose myself.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'mbrewing in the next few days (as soon as I get the time) and am considering adding some lactose myself.

I'd recommend doing a thread search for lactose. I know it's been discussed before. But 1500+ posts is hard to rummage through.

Well, it's been just over 2 months (my june-1 brew day notes are in post 1531 a few pages back) and I sampled one last night. It has come a loooong way. The hot alcohol flavors are gone (temperature spike in first day of ferment hitting over 80F for a few hours) and the black pepper (from the Chai spice) has mellowed out substantially. It was quite tasty as it is. I kind of liked the black pepper kick in the end.

Good thing to as the halfmas party I brewed this for is this weekend. Now I feel I can bring a few bottles for public tasting.

Thanks Reno, both for the recipe and the positive vibes through out the thread. Too bad international shipping of alcohol probably violates all kinds of laws, otherwise I'd send you a bottle.

How much spice and pumpkin would I add for a 12 gallon batch? Is the original recipe for a 5 gallon batch? I'm going to put it into beer smith and scale it up but wasn't sure about the spice and pumpkin .

How much spice and pumpkin would I add for a 12 gallon batch? Is the original recipe for a 5 gallon batch? I'm going to put it into beer smith and scale it up but wasn't sure about the spice and pumpkin .

For a 12 gallon batch, you should definitely double up the pumpkin. I wouldn't necessarily double up the spices though.

Do you really want 12 gallons of pumpkin ale? This is a great recipe and all, but that's a lot of pumpkin ale to have on hand.

Yes I would like 12 gallons, plan to keg half then bottle the other half. Plus I've been hung up on an IPA fix and need something different. I had planed on doubling the pumpkin so I bought 4 cans, but I just need to figure out the spices.

Back