Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warrior and Styrian Gold sounds good. I'd do warrior as the bittering hop and Styrian as the late flavor/aroma addition.

Yes sir, that's the plan! Thanks again or posting this recipe, I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread, and can't wait to try this out. Cheers!

ForumRunner_20120902_195436.jpg

There she goes. I have a great ferm going.

Here are some pics from my brew night. I threw in 3 big handfulls of rice hulls but still got a stuck/really slow sparge. I also had a fine grain crush so once it got moving again I noticed a lot of particles going into the kettle. Hopefully I don't need to worry about tannins?? Other then that it went well and had a great night with my wife and buddy Chris (Sunday morning was rough). Can't wait to try this beer! Smells and looks great. OG was 1.067 - only pitched 1 packet of S-05 so I hope it cleans up nicely.
img2370as.jpg

img2380b.jpg

img2381q.jpg

img2383b.jpg

I measured gravities with a refractometer and I calibrate it often.

I thought refractometers don't work when alcohol is present? I've always taken my FG with a hydrometer just to make sure it is accurate. Could that be why your attenuation was so high? Perhaps it didn't get all the way down to 1.003.

I thought refractometers don't work when alcohol is present? I've always taken my FG with a hydrometer just to make sure it is accurate. Could that be why your attenuation was so high? Perhaps it didn't get all the way down to 1.003.

Refractometers can work in the presence of alcohol, but you need to input the values into a formula for the correction factor. The formula is quite long, but lucky for us, there are websites that will calculate the numbers for you. All you need is to input your starting/ending Brix and hit calculate.

http://www.onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

Otherwise you will have to dust off your calculator and do the following equation:

(SG-OB-OB^2-OB^3+AB+AB^3)
SG = Specific Gravity, OB = Original Brix, AB = Actual Brix (Brix Readings During Fermentation).

Hey all, I brewed this a few weeks ago and was wondering if fermenting at 72 with S-04 is going to make a very estery or even undrinkable beer. I haven't tried it yet but plan to bottle soon.
:mug:

Hey all, I brewed this a few weeks ago and was wondering if fermenting at 72 with S-04 is going to make a very estery or even undrinkable beer. I haven't tried it yet but plan to bottle soon.
:mug:

I taste those esters right away. I had a beer going with S-05 recently and it got up to 70. I found it to be undrinkable. I think S-04 would be the same for my taste. I always brew around 60 to keep away the esters. I'm very sensitive to them.

^ This

It depends from person to person. I can taste them immediately and at low levels that others can't detect. Doesn't make it undrinkable for me... but I usually let beers with odd flavors sit for a few months and they tend to fade.

But for this beer I'd recommend low-temp. Swamp cooler set-ups work wonders if you don't have a fridge.

I was inspired by the English yeast in pumpkin ale, so just brewed something very similar to this with the Yorkshire strain (WY1469)...LOVING it.

I just took the final reading and got 1.014 down from 1.064. Pretty good. The spice volume is currently at 11 though. I'm hoping it comes down by the time I keg it. It's just 2 days shy of 2 weeks in primary.

AR-Josh said:
I just took the final reading and got 1.014 down from 1.064. Pretty good. The spice volume is currently at 11 though. I'm hoping it comes down by the time I keg it. It's just 2 days shy of 2 weeks in primary.

Good FG. Did you make your own spice mix or use McCormicks? The latter will fade a bit soon enough.

Crap that sucks. I'm not a big ester fan. I have been keeping it in my tub and exchanging frozen water bottles but I work so much that it really isn't getting below 70. I guess I will have to invest in a swamp cooler or start brewing to the seasons.
If I let the temperature of the beer stay around ambient now (about 74, been in primary for 15 days) will more esters be created, or is that only happening during fermentation?
Thanks for the input guys, always appreciated.

Stupid question = Is Extra Pale LME the same as Pale LME? And would it make a huge difference if I used 7lbs of Extra Pale LME instead of 8.25lbs of Pale LME?

SevenFields said:
Stupid question = Is Extra Pale LME the same as Pale LME? And would it make a huge difference if I used 7lbs of Extra Pale LME instead of 8.25lbs of Pale LME?

Difference is negligible. However, using 7 lbs will give you a lower OG than 8 lbs. That means less alcohol, lower ABV.

Just finished brewing this. Used warrior and styrian gold instead of the op hop bill because I had some on hand. I ended up with 5.5 gallons at 1.071. I can't wait until this is ready, it smells great. I'll post some pictures later. :mug:

I also just brewed this up today. Only my second all grain batch with my 5 gallon igloo mash tun and HLT. I pretty much followed the recipe exactly with the exception of just steeping the cooked pumpkin in a paint straining bag while I was heating up my strike water. I also fly sparged because my cooler has a nice fly sparger built into the lid. I started boil with just over 6 gallons and racked just over 5 gallons. My OG was 1.081! I confirmed with both my hydrometer corrected for temp and my new calibrated refractometer. Smelled amazing!!!! This is going to be one drunken punkin!

Adam

I found this comparable extra recipe on Brewmasterswarehouse. I noticed they listed Victory. I thought that this had to be mashed for an extract recipe?

I use brewmasters for ordering my ingredients. What do you think of this prebuilt recipe?

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/2465fbb9/

Vicotry Malt needs to be mashed, does not have enough diastatic power to self convert. Also says on Brewmasterswarehouse site. http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101449/briess-victory
It may contribute some flavor, but no where near what it would if mashed.

So how long are you guys keeping this beer in the primary? This weekend will be the 3 week mark for the first batch. My second batch is only at week 2. To soon to keg at 3 weeks?

So how long are you guys keeping this beer in the primary? This weekend will be the 3 week mark for the first batch. My second batch is only at week 2. To soon to keg at 3 weeks?

I'm planning 4-6 weeks. I want to give the spices time to mellow and meld together.

I'm at 4 weeks in the primary. If it were more Fall-like I'd keg it now do I can drink it but I'm going to wait another 2 weeks or so.

I had a buddy sample the brew its only been one week. He reported its bomb as of just finishing up primary. Now off to secondary. Thanks RENO! Your the first recipe I like off this whole site. You might have just saved me from never attempting another recipe. Time will tell my friend. Cheers

Anyone use pumpkin in the boil instead of the mash? I see a lot of recipes done this way.

Sorry if this was asked. I read like 10 pages of threads, but this thread is so long!

Cheers.

Dgonza9 said:
Anyone use pumpkin in the boil instead of the mash? I see a lot of recipes done this way.

Sorry if this was asked. I read like 10 pages of threads, but this thread is so long!

Cheers.

Some have tried but too much pumpkin sediment absorbs too much wort. I put the pumpkin in a paint strain bag and steeped in me strike water as it heated to temp for the mash. It made a nice orange pumpkin water that likely added some flavor. The truth is you probably don't need any pumpkin in the actual recipe to make an awesome pumpkin ale but it just doesn't seem right to not put it in somewhere.

Brewed this yesterday with an OG of 1.067. I'm using yeast cultured from Bell's Oberon. I used a sauce pan to scoop a quart of near-boiling wort out of the kettle and dissolved the brown sugar in it, than poured it back in when the wort began boiling. The McCormick spice gave it a wonderful smell. Thanks for the recipe Reno!

Thanks for the interest and nice comments, everybody.

RandomBeerGuy, I'm glad the recipe resorted your faith.

rewski, yeah not using some kind of squash would be weird to me.

Reno, i had the opportunity to sample it for the first time. Its been fermenting at my buddies house and is still there until i go back to steal it. It tastes good but i felt the spice was a little light for my taste so i dropped in a dry spice bag in secondary to bring the spice up just a tad. Other than that its a solid recipe and i would not change anything about it like the many people who are changing the op. Thanks again cheers.

So I had the chance to brew this today. Smells and looks awesome. Thanks for the recipe Reno. I made the mistake of forgetting the brown sugar. This would explain why I missed the o.g. But I did hit 1.057. Any suggestions for correction? Secondary or at kegging?

friday will be 3 weeks for my primary.. going to keg that and the black ipa i brewed the same day so they'll be ready to drink in about 10 days (that's normal for my force carbing).. will comment when i get a taste :)

I brewed this on 8/26. It has been fermenting at 64* until Saturday when I took a gravity reading. OG was 1.065, Saturday was 1.020 and the beer was still cloudy. I turned up my ferm chamber to 72* and gave the primary a good swirl. I'll check again mid-week.

The sample tasted very good. Nice orange color to the beer.

So I had the chance to brew this today. Smells and looks awesome. Thanks for the recipe Reno. I made the mistake of forgetting the brown sugar. This would explain why I missed the o.g. But I did hit 1.057. Any suggestions for correction? Secondary or at kegging?

I would dissolve the brown sugar in some boiled water and rack onto it for secondary. I would think perhaps too much brown sugar taste might come through if added at kegging.

Sorry few a newbie question, but but I can't figure it out what "#" stands for in Partial Mash.
Let's say I want to mash everything besides 10lbs Pale Malt, I don't have pot that is big enough.

Brewed today, steeped the pumpkin in my hlt before my mash in and sparge wow a real slow sparge even witj three pounds of rice hulls. But it sure smelled great after the spices were added.

Back