Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Reno, I see the recipe calls for (2) packs of US-05. Is that right or is it a typo? I would think 1 pack would be enough for a beer of this gravity.

I am also thinking about using Ringwood yeast slurry for one of the batches. I have heard that Dogfish uses Ringwood in alot of their beers, not sure if they use in in Punkin.

Good question... it's not a typo.

According to Mr. Malty you need 247 billion cells for this one. Assuming the production date of the yeast was today, that's 14g of yeast, or 1.2 11.5g packets. This means that under less-ideal (read: normal) conditions you're looking at probably 1.5 packets. I just tend to overpitch when I want a super-clean yeast profile.

I just snagged my two cans of libbys (luckily its canned here about twenty minutes from me in morton il). I guess last year there was a canned pumpkin shortage and was nearly impossible to find it.. I will hopefully be brewing this sometime next week (got an oatmeal stout to brew up for my father this weekend). Thanks for the great recipe and will deff let you know how it turns out.

Neil

So I really want to brew this soon, I have all the ingredients except for the hallertauer hops. Anybody have any suggestions for a good substitute? I have the following on hand: Columbus, Centennial, Cascade, Magnum, Simcoe, Nugget, Sterling, and Summit. I'm not too worried about the bittering addition, but more so the aroma addition.

So I really want to brew this soon, I have all the ingredients except for the hallertauer hops. Anybody have any suggestions for a good substitute? I have the following on hand: Columbus, Centennial, Cascade, Magnum, Simcoe, Nugget, Sterling, and Summit. I'm not too worried about the bittering addition, but more so the aroma addition.

I'd say your closest substitute would be Sterling, essentially an American hop of Noble origins.

I'd say your closest substitute would be Sterling, essentially an American hop of Noble origins.

I think you're correct. As much as I don't want to deviate from your recipe, I think I'll bitter with nugget or magnum, and use Sterling for the aroma.

After reading 57 pages I'm looking forward to brewing this tomorrow as I enjoy the DFH Pumpkin. I am planning on adding 8oz oats, 4oz carapils and mashing at 154. Nice long ferment at 62 degrees.

McCormick pumpkin pie spice has "sulfiting agents" in it. Anyone know what that is? Is it OK for beer? I am assuming it is because I think people have been using it. Just didn't notice until tonight when I was getting my stuff together.

AR-Josh said:
McCormick pumpkin pie spice has "sulfiting agents" in it. Anyone know what that is? Is it OK for beer? I am assuming it is because I think people have been using it. Just didn't notice until tonight when I was getting my stuff together.

Sulfiting agents are a preservative to help prevent the growth of things such as mold. It is fine to use in beer and should not affect your brew.

AR-Josh said:

Huh... I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure it only has the spices.

Regardless, there is not nearly enough to affect the beer or the yeast.

Ah, there are sulfiting agents. My bad. Still, shouldn't affect anything.

I just got all the ingredients today. Looking forward to brewing this one!

Nice! Good luck and be sure to post your results :rockin:

When is brewday?

First...thanks for the recipe Reno...second...holy hell stuck sparge! Rough brew day so far, but I'm 30 minutes into my boil, drinking a home brew and loving life....time to redesign my MLT with a copper manifold rather than my stainless toilet pile of junk. I should have known better, my last two brews have been pretty slow. Anyway, I'm going to roll with it and hope the wort I have becomes (good) beer after being stuck for about 35 minutes during my first runnings. I'm sure it's partly human error but I'll be using an entire pound of rice hulls next time through.

Ah stuck sparge... the bane of the pumpkin ale brew day.

It should be fine even after sitting for a while since the concentrations are probably off for the enzymes to work properly.

Just put carboy into fermentation chamber, house smells great. Thanks for the great recipe Reno

Excellent! And your alterations sound like they are going to make a delicious brew!

Out of curiosity, did you toast the oats?

No I didn't toast the oats. When I was digging through the cupboards for something I noticed some molasses and added about 4 tablespoons, I'm not sure if it will make a difference, because I have nothing to compare it to, but it seemed like the right idea. I did make a starter for the S-04 tho... This batch is already going to town in less than 12 hours. Freezer smells delicious!!!! Gonna be a long wait

Hmm. What to do today...

Resampled_2012-08-10_08-40-24_63.jpg

I plan on subbing Sterling in place of hallertauer for the aroma hop. Was thinking 1/2 ounce would do? Could anyone more knowledgeable chime in on whether or not a 1/2 ounce would be sufficient? Should I use more, less?

I'd say 0.5 - 1.0 ounces would do just fine. The recipe calls for 1oz of Hallertaur... and I think Sterling on average has a higher alpha-acid percentage. But at 5 minutes left in the boil the added bittering you'd get if you went full 1oz would be negligible.

I'd say 0.5 - 1.0 ounces would do just fine. The recipe calls for 1oz of Hallertaur... and I think Sterling on average has a higher alpha-acid percentage. But at 5 minutes left in the boil the added bittering you'd get if you went full 1oz would be negligible.
Alrighty, I figured I would use less only because Sterling is described as "Herbs and spices dominate", where Hallertau is described as "ever-so-subtle flower and spice fragrance." I just don't want to overpower the pumpkin spice, that's all. Thanks for the advice!

Ah, good point. From my understanding Sterling is spicy like Saaz, so 0.5oz would probably do you just fine!

So I can finally join the "stuck sparge club" haha. Would not recommend!! Thought I could get by with .75# of rice hulls...nope! It's ok though, got it running again and nailed the OG at 1.065. :rockin:

Just ordered all the ingredients yesterday! Went over to the grocery store and picked up the pumpkin and spices. I forgot to order rice hulls like an idiot:mad: I have about a 1/2 pound but I know I'll need more, especially for two batches. Looking forward to brewing this next weekend. I love pumpkin ale season!

So I can finally join the "stuck sparge club" haha. Would not recommend!! Thought I could get by with .75# of rice hulls...nope! It's ok though, got it running again and nailed the OG at 1.065. :rockin:
Welcome to the club!! Our motto: "No, you didn't ruin it. Now calm down and have a beer!" :mug: :D

I actually use all Northern Brewer hops in my rendition, and its phenominal.
That sounds quite tasty. When I use it as aroma additions I get a bit of subtle minty flavor. Did you get that? Because that would not be a bad thing for this beer :rockin:

Just ordered all the ingredients yesterday! Went over to the grocery store and picked up the pumpkin and spices. I forgot to order rice hulls like an idiot:mad: I have about a 1/2 pound but I know I'll need more, especially for two batches. Looking forward to brewing this next weekend. I love pumpkin ale season!
Oh dang, yeah 0.5# just barely cuts it for me on 5.5 gallons and I still usually get slow sparge.... whatever, just more time for me to have a homebrew.

As I am on the patio brewing a Dirty Bastard clone, I began to think about the upcoming fall (ugh, where did summer go?) and this recipe came back to mind. One of my favs as it starts to cool off.

What are anyones thoughts on this: make a "bigger" version of the pumpkin (to Southern Tiers Pumking 9%), with the idea of a pumpkin saison as a secondary batch from the same grainbed (partigyle I think?). Would you add anything?

Made this yesterday. We baked the pumpkin, organic stuff, not Libby's, at 350°F for an hour and about 45 minutes at 300°F. That caused some burnt parts so we didn't use the blackened parts and added a 5th can of uncooked Libby's pumpkin to make up for it. Used 1lb of rice hulls but still got a stuck sparge at the end. We made our own spice mix.

OG was 1.074. Tastes good, not overly pumpkin-y and has a subtle spiciness.

Used Wyeast 1056 with a 1.75L starter. Fermentation started a few hours in and by this morning had a 2-3 inch krausen. Can't wait to taste it in October!

Brew log with photos: http://geekbrewing.tumblr.com/tagged/009

Reno_eNVy said:
Nice! Was the higher OG on purpose or just some good efficiency?

This is only my 8th all-grain batch so nothing is on purpose yet. ;-)

According to my math, I got 87% efficiency. I seem to get 75% or higher all the time unless I screw something up and end up at 60%. I'd prefer to be at 75%.

87% is awesome efficiency. 75% is a great area to be too. But the main goal is consistency... once you know your usual efficiency you will know exactly what you're going to get from each recipe.

Regardless, I'm sure it will be delicious and, most importantly, beer! :mug:

But isn't it bad to have too high an efficiency? Isn't there a risk of extracting too much bad stuff (tannins?) when you get too high?

troyh said:
But isn't it bad to have too high an efficiency? Isn't there a risk of extracting too much bad stuff (tannins?) when you get too high?

Nope. Tannin extraction is a concern when you have too-high sparging temps or a wonky pH. I've done partigyles where I sent in tons of sparge water without tannin off-flavors.

Hmmm.... Looking again, you're right. I misunderstood what I had read about high efficiencies. Thank you.

Odd, I didn't have any issues with this recipe and a stuck sparge (16hr mash, stir 5m before draining). Are you using the mesh hose cooler setup for your tun? It seems like i've seen a lot more stuck in those lately.

Yeah the screen will likely clog up easier.

I think that 16hr mash really thinned things out for you.

Ok, I want to brew this beer. I had grains milled for a different beer but I want to do this now instead. Problemis I want to use the graini already have and it's mixed together so here is the recipe I will wind up with. What do you think?

9lb pale malt
.5 lb Munich
.5 lb victory
.5 lb cara pils
.25 lb melanoidin
.5 lb crystal 60

Pumpkin and spices as per original recipe. Think this will turn out tasty?

Latest posts

Back