Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, sucks for you...Misfits kick ass!!!

I will say I like some stuff WAY more than others, mostly the early Static Age and Misfits tunes. Where Eagles Dare is dark and brooding punk awesomeness :rockin:

The closest I ever got to seeing the Misfits was a totally hot all girl punk band in houston back in the early 90's called Stinkerbell who had a song "I saw the Misfits... When You Were Only Six!" I think I was in lust :D

Now that I think about it, I'd probably rather see the totally hot all girl punk band than the big ugly sweaty musclebound guys any day!!!

It's funny that they were professional wrestlers at one time.

Granted, not all of them are punk bands, but I just ordered 13 CDs.

The Soviettes - II
The Soviettes - III
Jersey - The Battle Has Just Begun
Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike
Wayne Kramer - The Hard Stuff
Nomeansno - All Roads Lead To Ausfahrt
Nomeansno - People's Choice
Jacknife Powerbombs - Set To Go!
Dingees - Armageddon Massive
MC5 - Big Bang
Jimmy Soul - Best Of
Nerf Herder - How To Meet Girls
Agent Orange - Living In Darkness

I am only 26, but I listened to a lot of punk growing up . When good metal made its emergence into the North American Continent, is right around the time punk really fell dead. I listen to Death Metal and Drum and Bass mainly, but I STILL to this day listen to NOFX.

They are the AC/DC of punk rock. The second you hear them you know its NOFX, even if you didn't hear Fat Mikes scratchy voice. Their songs all have that same tried and true formula, and they never changed from that (well at least not much)

Punk is so simplistic, but so awesome. But with anything, there is only so much I can listen to of it for so long before searching for something different. After wearing out punk, I feel I have almost worn out metal, and now listen to a lot of Drum n Bass.

Metal is the new punk though... in the aspect that every aspiring guitar player/drummer around my age wants to do the next new brutal death metal band. (at least here in AZ)

Whenever I listen to punk rock it reminds me of the days of my youth, ignorance and irresponsibility. The "high school me" would laugh at the "current me" , because I have conformed to the working world, quit smoking pot, and wear flip flops ( I DESPISED flip flops growing up). .....

Besides the obvious Clash, Ramones, and so on.

Some of my favorites are the Ducky Boys, Bouncing Souls, Rancid, Lars Frederiksen, Street Dogs, NOFX, Bad Brains, Negative Approach, Everybody Out, Turnpike Wrecks, Millencolin, the Briefs, Hank III, Pogues, FM, ?Frank Turner?.

I listen to a lot ska, probably the reason I listen to a lot of punk, such as Rancid, the Clash, Joe Strummer's other stuff, Specials, Desmond Dekker, Toots, Trojan, Ken Boothe, Mad Caddies, Left Alone, Pietasters, Aggrolites, and Slackers.

Vic Ruggiero from the slackers is the fella that plays the keys on the Rancid albums.

I know some don't see it, but to me real ska and punk is like beans and rice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the obvious Clash, Ramones, and so on.

Some of my favorites are the Ducky Boys, Bouncing Souls, Rancid, Lars Frederiksen, Street Dogs, NOFX, Bad Brains, Negative Approach, Everybody Out, Turnpike Wrecks, Millencolin, the Briefs, Hank III, Pogues, FM, ?Frank Turner?.

I listen to a lot ska, probably the reason I listen to a lot of punk, such as Rancid, the Clash, Joe Strummer's other stuff, Specials, Desmond Dekker, Toots, Trojan, Ken Boothe, Mad Caddies, Left Alone, Pietasters, Aggrolites, and Slackers.

Vic Ruggiero from the slackers is the fella that plays the keys on the Rancid albums.

I know some don't see it, but to me real ska and punk is like beans and rice.

I haven't heard that name in a while.

Anyone ever listen to Bigwig?

Their first few albums were great. I heard that they might becoming out with a new one soon.

Saw them play twice, but should've seen them a third time, but their van broke down. Avoid One Thing was opening for Flogging Molly at the club next door so they came over and played instead.

Right now I'm listening to Rudimentary Peni - Echoes Of Anguish. I forgot how short this album is. 12 songs, less than 15 minutes. :rockin:

They were really good, I was a little worried since they said it would be there last tour, as they are getting older and Shane is more difficult then ever to reel in. But the band sounded great as usual, and Shane knew most of the words. Shane lit a cigarette between every other song, good pit, nothing too crazy.

Member of Dropkick Murphys opened up a club in Providence. It opens next Tuesday, and they chose Against Me! as the headliner. I have been into AM! for a few years now but haven't yet seen them live. Figured this is the way to go, $15 tix at a small venue.

Member of Dropkick Murphys opened up a club in Providence. It opens next Tuesday, and they chose Against Me! as the headliner. I have been into AM! for a few years now but haven't yet seen them live. Figured this is the way to go, $15 tix at a small venue.

Really enjoyed Against Me!'s early stuff. Not a fan of White Crosses, but, damn, Reinventing Axl Rose is such a great album. Saw them play once years ago. Pretty good show.

Make sure you get to the club in time to see Off With Their Heads. Trust me on this one. They are currently one of my favorite bands.

I filled in for a friends band on guitar for one show and we played with king django. /namedrop

I've seen the pietasters a bunch of times, one of my favorite ska bands.

Catch 22's 'keasby nights' is my favorite ska album of all time though.

I've seen the Pietasters so many times I've stopped counting, they pretty much just play for fun these days, you hang out with them at a show you will have a few too many for free. I think they drop their cut on the tab.

I've only seen King Django once, he did a few gigs with the Slackers on there way to some Skafest down south a few years ago. He brought like a whole record shop with him on tour, just milkcrates full of classic reggae riddims. Didn't have much cash, plus my wife came to the show with me.

Digging it.

I think English Beat, Madness, and Bad Manners were on tour a few years ago.

I think I'm gonna have to name one of my brews 'Lip up Fatty'.

Another two great ska/punk bands:

Darkbuster

Hub City Stompers

no love for Alice Donut?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092DUlx2hX0&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092DUlx2hX0&feature=related[/ame]

For the Oi! fans

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLU76o5rEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLU76o5rEI[/ame]

I may have missed it. Did someone post the Cro-Mags yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadtYggZ2_s&feature=related

I saw the Cromags (or maybe it was just their leads) open for Rancid and Big D at the 930 club. I thought they were okay. The lead singer kept going on about politics, nobody seemed to care. Sometimes I think bands wanna talk politics since they're in DC, but almost all of us live here for reason besides politics, we get enough of it already.

Really enjoyed Against Me!'s early stuff. Not a fan of White Crosses, but, damn, Reinventing Axl Rose is such a great album. Saw them play once years ago. Pretty good show.

Make sure you get to the club in time to see Off With Their Heads. Trust me on this one. They are currently one of my favorite bands.

I'll be sure to do that. I have convinced myself taht AM! will dig up some old set lists considering this is not part of their "White Crosses" Tour. One can only hope.

I've seen the Pietasters so many times I've stopped counting, they pretty much just play for fun these days, you hang out with them at a show you will have a few too many for free. I think they drop their cut on the tab.

The Pietasters first two albums are amazing. I have a few of their old demo tapes. I got one right before Oolooloo came out. Some of the tracks have backing vocals so they actually sound better than the CD release.

Trying to think of other DC ska bands from that time. All I can come up with is the Checkered Cabs.

Desorden Público was a great soundtrack to today's brew.

I really like them. So many good ska bands from Latin America.

Does anyone listen to the Methadones? They're more of a rock and roll combined with pop rock type of band, but you can hear the punk influence. I dig these guys quite a bit.

Back