Pumpking Ale mash volume question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdrollason

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on making a pumpkin ale for Thanksgiving. I added Pumpkin as a grain into beersmith and I think that this is where I am getting my volume problems. I am going to put the pumpkin in with the mash at 1.30 qt/gal. Beersmith is telling me to add 26 some qts for my mash in for a 5ish gallon batch. I realize that I do not need that much, but I like having the theoretical color SRM, as I also like having a guesstimate on my O.G. What to do..what to do..

i would not worry about. the question is how much pumpkin do you want. i just did a 10gal batch and i would advise if you want pumpkin taste, us a bit more then you think is to much, both in mash and boil. if you want pumpkin spice use a some at end of batch. i would advise to be careful to not over do it on the direction you go. i did less then 2 Tbs of spice in for the 10 gals w/ light hoping and used 3 15oz pumpkin cans. Good luck

BUMP!

I would really like to find out how this comes out, and also what the final recipe is because I have been wanting to do a pumpkin hef. Hope the brew is fantastic!

Back