Pumpkin Stout ideas... Can I get a what, what? Or maybe just some thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakemo

Reaction score
Howdy. I'm bent on making a Pumpkin Stout, and this is before my pumpkin ale is even done bottle-conditioning.

Here's what I'm thinkin:

I want to make a mini-batch, around 2.5-3 gallons, since I have a 5-gal cooler mash tun. This keeps the price mucho cheepo! And keeps me from having to buy extract.

OG ~1.050, FG ~ 1.015

58% 2-row
17% Chocolate malt
13% Crystal 80L
13% Victory

1oz EKG for 60 min = ~30 IBU

I'd do 2-3 lbs oven-roasted pumpkin puree, I can get the good organic stuff for relatively inexpensive.

In my 5 gal of pumpkin ale, I used 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and allspice, and 2 Tbsp chopped candied ginger for the last 5 min. 8oz lactose also.

I think I'll keep the lactose, scaled for the recipe, and keep the spice additions at 1/2 tsp for the scaled recipe. Axe the clove; it's like playing with fire. Skip the allspice too. So that leaves cinnamon and nutmeg. I'll go with 1 Tbps ginger to keep the ratio.

Thoughts????? I think it sounds like a good idea, but I'm not too confident on my "stout" grain bill. I think it will work nice with the pumpkin, but I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

Needs a roast flavor as a stout. Otherwise it's going to be more porter-like.

Skip the lactose. It's going to have a lot of sweetness perceived through the spices.

Hmmm... So... Like... 6oz roast barley? I don't really want to fuss with black patent. 6oz will be around 8%

on the grain bill, 6oz of roast seems like a lot for 2.5 gallons...not sure tho!
I'd look at the Guinness clone by Biermuncher in the recipe database as a guideline. I haven't brewed that one but his stuff his generally well reviewed.

I mash for 5.5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon cooler with no problem. You just have to mash kinda stiff, like 1.25 qt/lb, but it works fine, my efficiencies are in the 70-80% range.

I just did a pumpkin stout using o flannigain's stout and added 3 big cans of pumpkin to the mash with 1 pounds of rice hulls.

I baked the pumpkin on a cookie sheet first and added 1 pound of brown sugar to the boil with 15 minutes to go.

I would mash for a 5 gallon batch but my current kettle is 5 gallons. I don't have $$ or space to upgrade or go outside, so for tagged moment I'm doing cheapie AG batches without LME.

6oz might be too much, I'll have to look closer at it.

I've got the pumpkin process down, as I said I have a pumpkin ale bottle conditioning.

The suggestion of starting with an Irish Dry Stout is a really good one, I think it would nicely balance the perceived sweetness and fullness of the pumpkin and spices. Hmmm....

You should definitely consider the roasted barley. That flavor characteristic is what helps identify a stout. As for the spices, why not wait and see how the current brew tastes? That will make it a lot easier to determine what your spicing regimen should be for this batch, just a suggestion

Jwood said:
You should definitely consider the roasted barley. That flavor characteristic is what helps identify a stout. As for the spices, why not wait and see how the current brew tastes? That will make it a lot easier to determine what your spicing regimen should be for this batch, just a suggestion

Haven't tasted it carbonated yet, but at bottling the spices were very mellow. In a stout, the spices would also have to contend with the more flavorful grains, so I think I'll probably be safe if I up their quantities just a little bit. If I end up ruining it, I swear I'll come back here and grovel.... ;)

Back