Pumpkin spice directly to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxtzd3

Reaction score
So was this an oops? After ferment i wanted a wee bit more spice so i added the powder right to the keg. Is this a bad thing?

No I've done it before, it will eventually settle and get pushed out so let it sit for a bit before tapping.

Maybe next time make a spice tea in a French press and add that instead of the actual spices. That is what I did this year.

thanks guys, was worried about contamination but i dont think that would happen.

I am in the same position, or going to be.

I added my pumpkin pie spice at flameout but when I racked to the fermentor I noticed the spices clumped at the bottom with the hop trub. So not sure if I will have the desired amount of spices.

Would it be best to make the spice tea, boil some water, add spices, let sit (how long) then add to the keg when racking?

Or make a tincture with some vodka?

Sorry to hijack :)

I am in the same position, or going to be.

I added my pumpkin pie spice at flameout but when I racked to the fermentor I noticed the spices clumped at the bottom with the hop trub. So not sure if I will have the desired amount of spices.

Would it be best to make the spice tea, boil some water, add spices, let sit (how long) then add to the keg when racking?

Or make a tincture with some vodka?

Sorry to hijack :)

id do a tincture with vodka. Let it sit for a few hours then filter with a coffee filter.

Can you pour the vodka straight in or would that push some weird flavor?

Yeah, put it straight in the keg. You should only get spice flavor. You shouldn't have to use that much vodka. Plus vodka is a pretty neutral spirit anyways.

I did the Vodka tincture this year. There wasnt quite enough spice in the aroma or in the flavour, so vented the keg, opened the lid, added dry spice powder right on top, resealed and allowed it to sit in the kegerator for a week before I tried it. It turned out great. I don't think you'll have any issue adding spice directly based on my (limited) experience doing it.

Back