Pumpkin Saison - Input Appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoxemus

Reaction score
Finishing up a batch of of Saison with 3711 and thinking of re-using the yeast for a Pumpkin Saison. I know it attenuates well so I will be mashing a bit higher (154) and using some more crystal/caramalt to keep the body. I also plan to ferment it cool.

3 lbs. Pale Malkt
3 lbs. Marris Otter
1 lbs. Victory
1 lbs. Melanoidin
1 lbs. Caramunich
.5lbs Flaked Oats
2 lbs Pumpkin - bakes and mashed
.5 lbs of Rice Hulls

.5 oz Warrior at 60Mins

Without the Pumpkin the numbers are:

OG 1.044
FG 1.004
SRM 12.5
IBU 32
ABV 4.9%

How do I add the PPG for Pumpkin to the recipe?

There's some numbers floating around for pumpkin if you're really curious - something like 2 PPG.

Splitting the base malt 2-row/MO works for me on my saisons.

1# each of Caramunich / Melanoidin / Victory seems like a lot. I'd go more like 0.5/0.5/0.25. A pumpkin saison will likely need even less big maltiness if the pumpkin is going to come out at all over that plus the yeast.

You can roast the pumpkin at 350F for 1hr to bring out the roast and caramel of the pumpkin which could replace the toastiness of the Victory.

I concur with the sentiment to cut back on the victory/caramunich/melanoidin. A half pound of each will do the trick.

I brewed a pumpkin beer last weekend and included two 29 oz of pure pumpkin in the mash. Prior to brewing, I roasted it in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes. I didn't get any sugars from it in the mash and didn't get a perceptible taste on my OG sample. My feeling is that the pumpkin may contribute some body to the finished beer.

Good luck.

I think you can get some pumpkin-ness if you roast the pumpkin and use a huge amount of it. My last attempt used 11# (2#/gallon) and you could pick it up along with the mouthfeel.

In that case, I'd stick to base malts or maybe even go with pils malt with some flaked oats and 0.5# Caramunich. The more stuff going on, the less you'll be able to pick out whatever the pumpkin adds.

You could do a pumpkin spice saison where you leave out the traditional spices people add to spiced saisons and maybe ferment a bit on the cooler side so the yeast isn't as dominating.

Wow, 2 pound per gallon? Interesting.... how was your lautering and how much rice hulls were used

I am definitely going to bake/roast the pumpkin first, for sure. The reason for the Victory and Melanoidin is I want some body and flavour and with 3711 you tend to get a really dry finished product.
This is only my second time using it though so I appreciate your input. More info I have the better I can design it.
Thanks!

It was an extract recipe and I lost a gallon of wort to pumpkin slime in the fermenter. Gave a great orange color. Now I'm planning on using canned pumpkin just so the process is quicker.

If you want body, why not raise the mash temp a bit? Something more like a wit is going to be 152F while a dry saison can be done toward 140F. Or I haven't used it but dextrine malt/Carapils is supposed to provide more body without overpowering anything, but you can achieve the same thing with mashing at the right temp.

Combining adjuncts, crystal/special malts, and a higher mash temp you might end up with too much body for a saison.

I brewed an american wheat with pumpkin last year. Bought 10lb baking pumpkins ( Turned out to be about 7-8 lbs after cutting it up). Roasted the pumpkin in the oven at 350F with some pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and clove sprinkled on the top. put the pumpkin in a muslin bag with the 2row (helps contain some of the pumpkin pulp) and placed it in with the rest of the mash at 154F . More pumpkin spice was added at the end of the boil. Turned out very pumpkiny and had great body. Not very clear, but very tasty.

Sweet - I did not see those threads, thanks Yrogerg.

Good tip on the muslin bag, too.

No, I did not. After a few pumpkin ales I decided I didn't want 20 litres of pumpkin beer kicking around. Seems I have lost my taste for it. Did some smoke porter and a stout instead.

Back