Pumpkin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper86

Reaction score
Yes, it is almost getting to be that time of year again when pumpkin is in almost every beer we hear about. Last year I brewed Northern Brewer's Smashing Pumpkin Kit which was very good but they only add spices and no actual pumpkin in the recipe. I am looking to use either canned or real pumpkin in the mash for a pumpkin IPA this season. I always do a recirculating mash technique in a stainless mash tun and I am afraid that if i follow this same technique that it will result in a stuck sparge more so than if I were to batch sparge. Any thoughts on this?

+1 on the strainer for your pumpkin, I wouldn't put it in the mash but on top of your grain bed. That way when you recirculate it filters through the grain bed. Then I would also measure out one heaping butt load of rice hulls if you're worried about a stuck sparge.

I've always used fresh pumpkin in the Mash and I continually recirculate for the entire mash time. I use medium to small pumpkins. I quarter them, put them cut side down on a cookie sheet, cook them at 350F for 20-30 minutes to caramelize them. To me raw pumpkin has almost no flavor. Cooked pumpkin seem to bring out more of the pumpkin pie flavors. I then bust them up with a potato masher and add the pumpkin goo right to the mash. Knock on wood, I've never had a stuck sparge. I recommend adding some rice halls to help with the stickiness of the pumpkin matter.

Reply to subscribe. I plan on brewing my first pumpkin beer next month to enjoy this fall.

Back