Pumpkin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltownbrewer

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a pumpkin beer. So my question is, can I make the brewhouse pale ale kit for example, then rack onto the pumpkin and spices in the secondary for two weeks. Would this work?

The brewhouse kits are simple, just add water and yeast, think I will add the pumpkin to the secondary.

Make sure the pumpkin is cooked and then stored sanitarily or else it could get a little funky.

I was actually thinking of adding some canned pureed pumpkin with the spice already added, but maybe that wouldn't be a good idea, not sure.

From what I have heard, canned pumpkin PIE mix is not a good choice, but if you read enough, you'll find issues with every option. Just go for it. I actually cut a pumpkin into chunks, baked it then boiled it. then I strained and added the water to my boil pot. had some good pumpkin flavor, but the spices we not strong enough. I got nervous after reading posts of using too much and it tasting bad. so I went a little light. wish I didn't. It's your beer, have fun with it. even if it turns out not as expected, somebody will drink it.

I have done 2 pumpkin ales. Both were devoid of any noticable pumpkin taste. I'm thinking of putting the spices in the bottling bucket next.

I used canned pumpkin pie mix (About 56oz of Libby's) in my first pumpkin ale in 2010, and it turned out great. I did the Austin Homebrew extract kit at the time, and additionally added their spice packet. It was like liquid pumpkin pie. I remember that the AHS kit specifically states NOT to use pumpkin pie mix because they thought the spices in that mix along with the kit's spices was overkill, but I thought it tasted great.

In 2011, I made an all-grain pumpkin ale with organic pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice, and the pumpkin flavor was much more subtle, even though I added the recipe amount of spice and then some.

Late last winter, I then went back to the AHS recipe, though I made it myself at my LHBS and converted it to AG.

In all cases, I did the pumpkin meat in the mash and the spices at flameout.

Just note that either way, you really get what you think of as the pumpkin FLAVOR from the spices. The pumpkin meat itself adds much more of a thicker protein mouthfeel, but pretty much nothing else. For this reason alone, I wouldn't do it in secondary, I'd stick to the mash.

I've also read that peeps have had much better luck actually getting good pumpkin flavor from the meat of yams and sweet potatoes as opposed to pumpkins, so I wouldn't hesitate to actually go that route.

Let me know if you want any more of my experiences. I make a pumpkin every year right around mid June and pop the first ones when football starts!

TopherM said:
Just note that either way, you really get what you think of as the pumpkin FLAVOR from the spices.

This. If you want pumpkin pie flavored beer you can almost skip the pumpkin itself entirely.

Also, I went light on spices and regret it...wish I had been more forceful.

I made a pumpkin ale from Midwest last year and everything i read said to use ALOT of pumpkin so I used 120oz of Libby's canned pumpkin that I baked at 350 with cinnamon and brown sugar for 45 mins then added with 10 in the boil. I then added a tsp of McCormiks pumpkin pie spice at bottling, it turned out great and the pumpkin taste came through well and not overwhelming.

use canned pumpkin, boil everything, don't do secondary additons unless it's with some rum or whiskey, or the spice has been boiled in the must. Important to avoid infections.

william_shakes_beer said:
Don't forget, canned pumpkin pie filling contains spices. Pumpkin meat does not. I believe that is why the result varies so much.

You can get the canned pumpkin with or without the spices.

Back