Pumpkin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tepe

Reaction score
Ok never made a A/G Pumpkin brew.

How many #'s needed for a 5 gal batch?

Boil, Mash or secondary ?

any other suggestions?

I use 4-5 lbs for my 5 gallon batch, in the mash. I cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and roast them cut side down on a cookie sheet with a little water for 60 minutes at 350F. Scoop out all the pumpkin meat and throw it into the mash with 1/2 - 1 lb rice hulls.

A listener of the Can You Brew It? show on the Brewing Network actually double roasted his pumpkin. After first roast, scoop it into a pyrex dish and roast again. I think I will try that this year.

I've also read you can get some unspiced pumpkin in a can...I'm going to try that for my first pumpkin ale this year

Put 1 llb of pumpkin in AG mash= stuck sparge I used Libbys real pumpkin. Lesson learned, put it in the boil or use a butt ton of rice hulls I used cloves ginger cinnamon and allspice in the boil smelled awesome

I used about six pounds of Libbys in mine and also used rice hulls accordingly to help keep a stuck sparge at bay. I don't feel like you get much flavor from this, as pumpkin by itself doesn't have a strong flavor profile in my opinion. It did however contribute some body to the wort and very nice orange color. I got most of the "pumpkin pie" taste in my pumpkin ale from using very late additions of pumpkin pie spices and some at flame out. If you put it in to early it just boils out. There is a long pumpkin thread on here somewhere that is useful as is this article, http://***********/component/resource/article/327-brewing-with-pumpkin-tips-from-the-pros

I just did one last week. I used 4 lbs roasted pumpkin in the mash (with 1lb rice hulls) and then i added 2 lbs roasted pumpkin at 15min in the boil. I let you know how it turns out.

I'm making one next week. I plan on using the Smashing Pumpkin kit from NB but am modifiying it a bit. Going to roast 1 1/2 cans of pumpkin and use in mash. I'm also going to mash at 154 instead of 152. I am doing this because I plan on adding 1/2 lb of dark brown sugar late in the boil and I don't want it to dry out too much. I thnk I may just do a mash and one batch sparge, because I hear the sparge can be a real bi%ch. spices at 5 mins and flameout

I did my pumpkin ale last week. I used two 29 oz cans of Libbys in the mash. I threw in about 1.5 lbs of rice hulls, and I had no problem with my sparge. I didn't go any slower than usual either. Just make sure you stir it up really good and don't be cheap with the rice hulls, and you'll be fine.

Back