Pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hops should always be used in beef. Out of curiosity, how will the beef be prepared?

Yes, you also want to put hops in your beer. And, with your edit, the jokes aren't going to make sense to anyone...

Ok you guys! Lets make sure I have no typos this time, since I entertained you earlier! Ha When I do my pumpkin ale and I'm doing extract and dried malt, when do I put pumpkin in? During boil? Thanks for your help. I have made a few beers just never used other ingredients outside the box.

Ok you guys! Lets make sure I have no typos this time, since I entertained you earlier! Ha When I do my pumpkin ale and I'm doing extract and dried malt, when do I put pumpkin in? During boil? Thanks for your help. I have made a few beers just never used other ingredients outside the box.

Some people boil, but I didn't. The recipe I followed called for mashing the pumpkin. Since you're doing steeping grains it seems, you probably would need to get a grain bag and put the pumpkin in that while you steep your other grains. You CAN boil the pumpkin, but it's a mess and will require a large enough pot to handle the extra volume.

Nothing to steep, so I guess I will be boiling it. I have a very big pot, just wasn't sure if you put it right in with the wort. I guess I better start early so I can leave extra time to clean up the mess! Thanks!!

mickey34 said:
Nothing to steep, so I guess I will be boiling it. I have a very big pot, just wasn't sure if you put it right in with the wort. I guess I better start early so I can leave extra time to clean up the mess! Thanks!!

Ok. I kegged my pumpkin ale today and took a reading. It was 2% alcohol!!! What did I due wrong? I used a can of coopers malt extract a bag of malt extract and I added a little brown sugar. I did get these ingredients from my brew shop and told them what I was making and they said it would be good. But 2%, it had a good taste but that will be like drinking water? Any suggestions why this turned out the way it did?

Ok. I kegged my pumpkin ale today and took a reading. It was 2% alcohol!!! What did I due wrong? I used a can of coopers malt extract a bag of malt extract and I added a little brown sugar. I did get these ingredients from my brew shop and told them what I was making and they said it would be good. But 2%, it had a good taste but that will be like drinking water? Any suggestions why this turned out the way it did?

Are you trying to read the alcohol numbers on the hydrometer? That's for wine and doesn't apply at all. You need to take your OG and FG and subtract the difference to figure out ABV. Use an online calculator, just G00gle it.

ABV = (OG-FG)*131

Example: 1.065-1.020=0.045, 0.045*131= 5.895%

Also if you want true accuracy, don't forget to correct the hydrometer for the temperature.

Temp: Correction:
50 -0.0013
55 -0.0007
60 -
65 0.0007
70 0.0016
75 0.0025
80 0.0034

Back