pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwill69

Reaction score
Just did my first pumpkin ale...I used 5lbs. of pumpkin puree. The wort was really saucy do to the puree. Fermentaion done,racked it in secondary but out of my original 5 1/2 gallons I ended up with only 3 1/2 . The rest was thick, setteled pumpkin and yeast patty....Is this normal..should i have made 6 1/2 gallons of wort to compensate for puree volume. And most importantly will the remainder be ok..Tasted fine when racking

this is only my second brew so far...and my brew buddy also hasn't used fruit or pumpkin before...soo i need advice

Is it true that the pumpkin doesn't add much to the flavor profile? That using spices that you would normally add to pumpkin pie will create the "pumpkin pie" flavor. Just curious as I'm about to brew the AHS pumpkin ale and am considering adding some maple sugar, nutmeg, etc.

I did a pumpkin beer last year and this year's batch is fermenting as we speak. I've brewed maybe 20 total batches or so and by far the least amount of volume bottled/kegged was from last year's pumpkin ale. I used roughly the same amount of pumpkin as you did...added to the boil. My attempt to remedy that this year was to put half of the pumpkin in the mash and the other half was added to the boil. It looks like it may have worked, cause there's far less pumpkin hanging out at the bottom of the fermenter...but I think if I attempt another one next year, I'll make sure to up the volumes to account for all the pumkin trub.

Is it true that the pumpkin doesn't add much to the flavor profile? That using spices that you would normally add to pumpkin pie will create the "pumpkin pie" flavor. Just curious as I'm about to brew the AHS pumpkin ale and am considering adding some maple sugar, nutmeg, etc.

this thread should help a lot...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pu...ng-recipes-tips-tricks-good-practices-131786/

I use both pumpkin and a small amount of spices...but there is much debate over this question...

i defintlly used spices....maple,ginger cinnomon,nutmeg..soo should my remaining 3 1/2 gallons in the secondary be fine....just a small batch?

I used somewhere around 60 oz and while I did have loss, it wasn't quite as much as you.

I put a lot of the pumpkin into the mash, and some into the boil. I strained it on the way into the bucket. When I bottled, there was still a bunch of pumpkin that had gotten through. I got about 4.5 gallons out of 5.

I do plan on upping my recipe a bit to get 5 gallons at the end.

Just an update... the pumpkin ale was awsome . everyone loved it definitly a good recipe..Sad only one bottle left,never made it to halloween.

Wow, *really* quick. You kegged it? I brewed mine on July 31st, and I still haven't even tasted it. (4 weeks in primary, a little over 4 weeks in the bottle so far) :cross:

it was too fast..started having gushers after 1 week in bottle...I used tablets for carb.At day 10 i put them all in the fridge to stop the yeast. I got lucky it turned out awsome.I have gained respect for the brewers (patience). I must say it was everything I had hoped for..Ohh every part was too fast..3 day primary....7 day secondary...1 week in the bottle.Im tring to imagin what it would have tasted like if I had waited and done things properly. BREW AND LEARN! thats my new catch phrase.

Latest posts

Back