pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster13

Reaction score
My wonderful wife bought me an ahs pumpkin ale extract kit for xmas but I have a few questions before brewing. How do I prepare the pumpkin before adding to the boil? I will be using canned pumpkin. should I bake it first or add uncooked? At what point do I add it? I assume I should put it in a bag and remove it before transfering it to the primary? I really don't want to screw this up!! thanks

One method would be to spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it for 30 minutes at 350F. Then you would add it to the boil. The biggest problem is staining the crap out out. I use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag. It filters out most of the pumpkin, but it drains REALLY slow due to the fiberous nature of the pumpkin. For more ideas, check out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale-ag-extract-versions-26699/

Back