Pumpkin Ale with little flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txstars15

Reaction score
Awhile back, I put up a batch of pumpkin ale from a Midwest Supplies kit. I doubled the pumpkin amount, as highly recommended from all the reviews I read, and added much more spice, also recommended. Come drinking time, the beer was okay but no real unique flavor at all. I couldn't taste the pumpkin or the spices and was wondering if this is a common thing with this beer. It was fairly disappointing from a flavor standpoint but served the purpose of having a cold one while watching the tube!

We need more info to figure out what's going on. How much pumpkin did you use, and how did you use it (mash, boil, secondary, etc.)? How much and what spices did you use? How did you add them (boil, flameout, secondary)?

I used two 30oz cans of pumpkin added to the boil. Spices went in during the boil but can't say when as I do not have my brew notes in front of me. Everything went in during the boil.

I made that same kit.

This is what I did after reading reviews to get more flavor.

2 cups packed light brown sugar @ 60 min
90oz canned pumpkin at 60 min
2tsp pumpkin pie spice @ 5 min
1tsp cinnamon @ 5 min

1tsp pumpkin pie spice and 1 tsp cinnamon when transferred to primary.

I don't really care for pumpkin ale, but my Wife does, and she said it was pretty good, maybe do one more round of pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon at bottling/kegging next batch.

It took 2 months for it to clear and the flavors to really come out in the bottle.

Don't recall if I added brown sugar or not. I did have a whopping amount of sediment thanks to the pumpkin. Made it a bit of a pain to rack and bottle considering I have a spigot on my primary bucket.

when i did mine, i baked the pumpkin at 350 for prolly an hour. got some decent flavor out of mine

How/when to add pumpkin seems to split home brewers more than whether or not to secondary.

I've tried it three different ways, and the best was this past year when I added two 30-ish oz cans of pumpkin to the mash for a 5 gallon batch (use a ton of rice hulls if you do this) and then added my spices to secondary. I do 2 t cinnamon, 1 t nutmeg, and .5 t cloves.

This year I'm going to do two batches. One will be exactly like last year and one I'll bake the pumpkin to see which I like better.

Definitely roast the pumpkin first, and if you really want the spice flavors, rather than a hint, you have to add them post-fermentation. I add at bottling by making a spice tea from cinnamon, clove, ginger, and nutmeg to disolve my priming sugar.

I make a pumpkin ale based on an amber recipe and a pumpkin stout based on a dogfish head clone recipe every year, and I always put 56 oz of pumpkin in the mash (two 28oz Libby's cans) and 2 tbs of grocery store pumpkin pie spice (all for a 5 gallon batch).

I've heard of the pumpkin going in the mash/steeping grains, in secondary, and at flameout, but never in the boil.

My spices always go in the boil. I've found they are best as a 15 minute addition.

These techniques give me beer that tastes like liquid pumkin pie. Strong pumpkin flavor.

What was your OG/SG?? Maybe you watered down the wort?

I've heard of plenty of people adding to the boil. When I was doing some research back in August, I found it was quite common. Seems the majority of people do it in the mash or the steeping if you're doing partial mash though.

I agree the flavor is mostly spice, although I do get some pumpkin aroma. I find the pumpkin in the boil adds to body and mouthfeel though. And without pumpkin you have spice beer, in my opinion, not pumpkin beer.

Back