pumpkin ale trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
Every time I make a pumpkin ale (3 batches) I get this weird aroma. It sorta has a weird chemically alcohol smell (not a normal beer alcohol smell) and a bit like strong chlorine. I use bottled spring water to make all my beers because my tap water has a pretty noticeable chlorine smell/flavor. I don't notice this aroma on any of my other beers (porters, stouts, browns, IPA's). I know that infections can cause weird off flavors/aromas but hard to believe that out of 15 batches of various style beers that the only 3 that have this weird aroma were the pumpkin ales. Has anyone else had this as well? Any ideas on what it could be?

All grain 2 gallon batch

3 lbs. Pale 2-row
10 oz. Crystal 60
7 oz. Biscuit malt
4 oz. Flaked wheat
4 oz. Rice hulls

2 lbs. Fresh pumpkin cooked and pureed added to mash
Pumpkin pie spice added to boil

SafAle-04 English ale yeast

Medium body 152 degree mash for 60 minutes

What is your recipe and the rest of your process? Would you call it a bandaid type flavor?

What is your recipe and the rest of your process? Would you call it a bandaid type flavor?

I just edited my recent post with the recipe. Not necessarily a total bandaid flavor but possibly could be perceived as that in a very light way

Could it be some kind of pesticide/preservative/etc on the skin of the pumpkin? Or do you separate the meat from the skin at some point during the process?

Could it be some kind of pesticide/preservative/etc on the skin of the pumpkin? Or do you separate the meat from the skin at some point during the process?

I cooked the pumpkin and then scooped the flesh out and threw away the skin. Before adding to the mash I browned the pumpkin under the broiler

Just throwing random ideas out there, do you think the pumpkin pie spice has too much clove? I only mention that cause after drinking weyerbacher next to pumking, weyerbacher has too much clove in the spice to kinda give it a chemically almost tongue numbing taste. When I make my pumpkin ale I do not use straight pumpkin pie spice, I measure different spices.

Just throwing random ideas out there, do you think the pumpkin pie spice has too much clove? I only mention that cause after drinking weyerbacher next to pumking, weyerbacher has too much clove in the spice to kinda give it a chemically almost tongue numbing taste. When I make my pumpkin ale I do not use straight pumpkin pie spice, I measure different spices.

Hmmmmm that actually is a very good possibility. Never thought of that before. Good thinking!!! I love pumking. Wish I could replicate that buttery graham cracker crust flavor

I used to love weyerbacher until I got serious about making my own pumpkin ale... I had been holding on to one to do a side by side with mine and pumking, and I got huge cloves from the weyerbacher... The pumking definitely had that buttery taste, and mine was too bready. Maybe try a batch measuring out your own spices with allspice instead of clove?

I used to love weyerbacher until I got serious about making my own pumpkin ale... I had been holding on to one to do a side by side with mine and pumking, and I got huge cloves from the weyerbacher... The pumking definitely had that buttery taste, and mine was too bready. Maybe try a batch measuring out your own spices with allspice instead of clove?

Yeah that's great advice I really appreciate that. Just out of curiosity is your pumpkin recipe similar to my grain bill?

My recipe was as follows, 2.5gl batch, 68% BH efficiency...
OG 1.070
FG 1.015
US two row 70%
Toasted malt 270°F for 60min 9.1%
C40 9.1%
Torrified wheat 9.1%
Molasses 2.6%
1lb per gallon of roasted pumpkin in the mash
Mash temp 154 for 60 min

Magnum @60 min 29 IBU
1/2tsp ground ginger
3/4tsp cinnamon
1/3tsp allspice
1/8tsp ground clove
1/8tsp nutmeg

US05 pitched at 65, and i *try* to maintain 65 through ferment.

Next batch I am gonna bump the pumpkin to almost 2lb per gallon. Cut the toasted malt a bit, yet toast it higher for more nut type flavor. Adding honey malt. Sub torrified for flaked wheat, add more molasses. Bump up the measurements of spice equally. Use WLP028. Also bump the OG to something like 1.080.

I have a brew buddy that can't stand any clove in pumpking beer, complains that it has a strange taste. Apperently he is very sensitive to it, he can pick it out blindfolded even in small amounts.

If it's nothing mentioned so far, it might be a process-related issue for this particular style of beer.

Check here for troubleshooting and possibly bettering your processes:
(see solvent/fusel/medicinal/alcohol/plastic/phenolic)

http://www.bjcp.org/faults.php

Latest posts

Back