Pumpkin Ale Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing Richbrewers pumpkin this weekend, today the swmbo went shopping and brought home easy pumpkin pie mix rather than just pumpkin. Should I have her return it(and piss her off) or will it be ok to use it and just exclude the spices? As far as I can tell it has the spices and brown sugar premixed. Should I drop the grain bill to compensate for the sugar?

As long as it doesn't have any preservatives that would hinder fermentation, I'd just use it (no need to piss off SWMBO). The spices are what really make the flavors anyway. As for the sugar, unless you're using pounds of the stuff I don't think it'll throw your OG off enough to make much of a difference, and really, who doesn't like a more substantial pumpkin ale?

The only thing I would worry about is how much of each spice are added in the kit. Might be under spiced for Rich's recipe. The other thing is there is probably 1/4 maybe 1/2 cup of brown sugar in it?? (I'm assuming this kit makes 1 pie) Is it really necessary to compensate for that little amount? Your probably talking 2 points or less. I'd leave it. Heck I would just brew with it. Taste a little of it and add spices as you see fit. I just brewed his recipe using canned pumpkin a little over a week ago. Racked it to the secondary and pulled me a sample and tasted awesome!

My knee-jerk reaction would be not to use it. But I checked out the label on the Libby's site and there doesn't seem to be anything in there that would cause you and really problems, other than not being able to control the spice mixture completely.

Libby's Easy Pumpkin Mix

Personally, I would thank SWMBO and take it back myself. Do the recipe as listed and everyone will be happy. It would probably work just fine, but the fact that these beers need such a balance of spice I would want to know exactly what is going into it so you make changes for next time.

I picked up a couple of cans of 100% pumpkin for my ale the other day and they were like $1.50 per 2lb can. I would save the pumpkin pie mix for...well pumpkin pie! It sure wouldnt goto waste around my house cause I love the stuff.

brew the beer with 100% pumpkin and you will be happier

Good points. Looks like I'm heading to grocery store before brewday, thanks guys

Right now I am drinking dude's pliny and eating pumpkin pie:D

I think brewers can make perfectly good pumpkin ale without even using pumpkin. It is categorized as a spice beer, therefore all you need to do is get the spice ratio/mix just right and you'll have a great beer.

Iordz said:
I think brewers can make perfectly good pumpkin ale without even using pumpkin. It is categorized as a spice beer, therefore all you need to do is get the spice ratio/mix just right and you'll have a great beer.
I disagree. There is a big difference between Pumpkin ale and spiced ale. The pumpkin in the beer adds a definite flavor.

Here are my thoughts: most people associate pumpkin pie with the spices, right? Therefore, if you get the spice mix right it will remind the person of pumpkin pie. "Hey this reminds me of pumpkin pie," that's what you want the person to think. I heard a professor from Siebel Institute tell his students, "it's your job, as brewmaster, to create a beer and play with people’s perception, like an artist"
I do brew pumpkin ale but I use banana squash because it is available fresh all year, so I'm not saying don't use pumpkin. It seems as though a lot of people can't taste the pumpkin flavor anyway, however I do think it adds to the complexity.

Back