Pumpkin ale from kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cridden

Reaction score
I just got a Coopers English Bitter and I'm going to slap it together this weekend, but I was wondering if I could possibly make it a bastardized pumpkin ale by adding roasted canned pumpkin and the spices to the primary.
I am in the process of getting equipment (and money) so I can step up to partial mash and hopefully AG, but for the time being I am limited to "kit and Kilo"
Any thoughts?

It's all about experimentation. I just finished a primary for a chocolate stout made from coopers Irish stout kit. id say go for it, but i am really just a rookie at this. if it turns out pretty good though post how much pumpkin and spices you added, i would be interested in trying it myself.

Yes, you can easily modify your kit by adding pumpkin. Roast the pumpkin as you suggest at 350 for an hour, add to the boil, I did mine at 60 minutes, add ginger and pumpkin pie spice if desired about 15 minutes from the end of the boil, chill and treat as usual. I would suggest leaving pumpkin in the primary to get the most flavor, but then use a secondary.

I just bottled a 5 gallon batch of Pumpkin "Oktoberfest" Ale last weekend that should be AWESOME! I used 1/2 oz at about 15 mins. Then racked to secondary 2 weeks in, and added another 1/4 oz to suit my tastes.

The hydrometer reading tasted 100x's better than the dogfish head pumpkin ale I bought at $3/bottle! 8o

I figure I saved myself $120 bucks with this brew! :D

Well I just put it together, hope it works out. I roasted
The mashed pumpkin with a little brown sugar for about an hour and added it when cool to the fermenter along with my spices. Added my can of Coopers Bitter, a kilogram bag of muntons brew enhancer, topped up to about 20 liters and got an OG of 1.045.
Hope it turns out.

Keep us posted! I probably wouldn't have used the english bitter kit, but what do I know anyway? Let me know how it is!

Back