Pumping chilled wort to your fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few batches ago I picked up an Anvil Bucket Fermentor and being the "tinkerer" I am, I decided to solder a 1.5" TC ferrule to the lid
9Rtfp4w.jpg

This opens up a ton of possibilities for accessories. I also picked up a 1.5" TC gas post fitting that I can use for both blow off purposes as well as introducing CO2 for pressure transfers.

u5J94Js.jpg

I also picked up an SS Brewtech Micro Ball Sprayer for easy cleaning.

siXVjER.jpg

One last thing I was thinking of doing was picking up a 1.5 TC to 1/2 NPT

318mrhGp3JL.jpg

...throwing a type A camlock fitting on this and using this to pump my chilled wort into my fermentor. This way the hose is securely connected to the fermentor lid and I don't have to worry about it being submerged or getting kicked or falling out of the fermentor body. Also, I should be able to keep the fermentor mostly sealed while filling it up which is a huge bonus because I brew in my garage and usually by the end of my brew day I'll have 2-3 flies buzzing around looking for sweet wort.

Does anyone else use a fitting like this to pump their wort into their fermentors?

I assume I'll have to leave the lid a little loose to the let oxygen out as the vessel fills?

I also assume it's fine to just let the wort fall from the lid to the bottom of the vessel? I'll still oxygenate it with pure O2, but I letting it splash to the bottom will just help it oxygenate more.

I use cam locks. I have a 1/2 SS ball valve with male cam lock on the "bottom" of my Speidel. I pump the wort right in. then when fermentation is over, I transfer to kegs.

its the way to go.

I fill from the bottom, so I can vent the top. you will need a vent of some sort. (Leave top of are bucket loose)

Sounds like a good idea.

I was doing some triclover to camlock fittings recently also and was about to do the same thing when I found and opted for the following:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/camtc15.htm

As clean and sanitary as you can get a threaded fitting, I don't think you can beat a single piece, and they aren't really any more expensive than a threaded camlock fitting anyways. Unless you already have extra parts kicking around, you might want to go for something similar .

Sounds like a good idea.

I was doing some triclover to camlock fittings recently also and was about to do the same thing when I found and opted for the following:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/camtc15.htm

As clean and sanitary as you can get a threaded fitting, I don't think you can beat a single piece, and they aren't really any more expensive than a threaded camlock fitting anyways. Unless you already have extra parts kicking around, you might want to go for something similar .
Yeah -- I was looking at that fitting earlier and I really liked the fact that it's one piece. Definitely the cleanest and most sanitary option.

I already had some extra parts laying around, and the wort will be traveling through probably a dozen other threaded joints on the way to the fermentor anyways, so one more joint isn't going to kill the batch. Plus...I really didn't want to place an order for one part from brewhardware. :)

Sanity check... what's everyone's thoughts on just letting the cooled wort "free fall" to the bottom of the vessel from the lid? For some reason it feels wrong, but I know I've seen people do this before...

If it's coming directly from your brew pot, I don't see much difference than dumping it into a carboy. What are you doing to relieve pressure as your filling?

If it's coming directly from your brew pot, I don't see much difference than dumping it into a carboy. What are you doing to relieve pressure as your filling?
I plan to leave the lid loose which should allow pressure to escape.

Back