Pump Ideas for Mash Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
Does anyone have any creative and inexpensive ideas for pumping grape mash from 5 gallon buckets int 55 plastic barrels and than back again after fermentation for pressing? The barrels have to 1" or so openings.

Any suggestions appreciated.

With skins? Not really any cost effective pumps which will pump solids on a small scale. If it's a white any cheap pump will work (or a 1/2" vinyl tube). Also it's a grape juice "must."

Yes, skins & seeds. Direct from the crusher/destemmer into the fermentation barrels. Getting to old to hand carry and transfer everything.

Sorry, just measured. The holes are 2 1/4" wide.

I currently ferment in a 55 gal barrel with the top cut off. I just bought two more sealed barrels with the lids still on. I would rather not have to cut the lids off and get a pump to put the juice/skins/seeds in after crushing and pump out into the press.

Sure would make life easier but as I now think about it punching the cap may be a bit more difficult.

Back