Pump,Hose, and Couplings Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCoyoteSG

Reaction score
This may have been covered somewhere but I couldn't find anything on it. When you are using a pump is it necessary to use some sort of couplings? What I mean is could i use silicon tubing just pushed on a barb and drain down to the pump inlet and push on to another barb? It's the way i do it now but it's just gravity coming out of the HLT to the mash tun to the kettle.

The advantage to using quick disconnects, which is what I assume you mean by coupling, is that you can get your tubing off the rig for cleaning and storage. It gets old pushing tubing onto barbs and tightening clamps.

Thats the way I have been doing it for a long time I use high temp silicone hose and just push it on my hose barbs on my march pump never had a problem doing it that way.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Silicone tubing goes on and off so easy and i've never had to use clamps with it so i think i'll hold off on the quick disconnects or cam locks for now. Thanks!

Same here, I just use the silicone without clamps on my pump and plate chiller. Never had one come off unless the hose kinked, but I guess better to push the hose off than to blow it out.

Back