Pulling the trigger on Keg Kit but!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtskinner

Reaction score
I researched suppliers and believe I found the best deal on what I want! However, after reading several threads, I am probably more confused and undecided as to what LENGTH of line to order with the kit! The company I picked ships everything already assembled and they make them with 5' beer lines. My thought was, if they assemble and send them with 5' lines, you'd think they do it for a reason but I read opinions and recs all up and down from 5' to 10'! They will make them whatever length lines I want. :confused:

It's an industry standard, because someone some time back used a tubing performance spec totally out of context and decided the math said 5' 3/16" ID lines was a good length.

They were wrong.

Ask to have the lines cut to your length, or buy enough tubing to replace their runs...

Cheers!

+1.

I'm thinking about switching my three lines from the 5' length my system came with to 10', but I'm not in a rush to do so. I get slightly more foam than I'd like, but I'm drinking English ales so I like to let them sit and warm some anyway.

If you haven't already done so, see what your setup will cost at http://www.birdmanbrewing.com. I got their 2-faucet system (w/o tank and kegs), had them add what was needed to make it 3-faucet, upgraded to Perlick 525SS and SS shanks. Their prices beat everyone else. They're a HBT vendor and Brian, the owner, provides outstanding service. I expect that. if I had asked, they would have made the beer lines longer for me and just charged for the extra length of tubing.

10-12 feet of 3/16" ID tubing works for most of us. Some people are fine with the 5' that come with their kits, but most people are not.

i just bought a keg kit from Ontario Beer Kegs for $250 Canadian. came with 5' lines. i have no issues with it at all. i did order extra hose in case i run into issues down the road. i run at 40-42F and 12PSI with out any isssues. it's in my gargage on the floor so i'm not able to control the temp very well until my keezer is finished.

and the keg is so much better then bottling. looking to buy a couple more actually!!

I'm starting to lean towards erring on the side of caution and getting kit sent w/ 10 ft lines. I figure with the $$$ I'll have invested at that pt what's a few bucks more in line. I can always cut back. I don't like to later be saying "I wish I would've"! Scored on new never used Maytag 14.8 off C's list for $275, $449 in Home D. Starting out w/ 3 tap kit. Plenty of room to grow, set and forget or ferment lagers etc. Anxious to build keezer, mind is racing with color schemes/ themes. Lots of great ideas/ pics here on HBT. Witbier & White House Honey ready to brew and will be first kegged brews.

Back