Pulling samples vs. hydrometer straight into fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhan

Reaction score
I'm fermenting some lager in a fermenter with no tap on the bottom (I was advised that taps introduce bugs).

Should I be simply opening the lid and placing my (sanitized) hydrometer in the brew to take readings?

Or should I be siphoning out a small sample to test?

Or (possibly a silly question) could I remove my airlock and simply pour some of the brew out into a testing flask, through its rubber grommit? (I'm brewing in a small 10L fermenter, which isn't too hard to lift.)

Also, my hydrometer would very nearly reach the bottom of my small fermenter, and might run into some of the gunk down there - would this affect readings?

Thanks for looking :)

you could put your hydrometer directly into the fermenter as long as you are really careful about sanitation. it just might be a bit hard to read.

removing your airlock and pouring out is not advised because 1) you will rouse your yeast sediment on the bottom 2) you risk oxidizing your beer by shaking it up like that with the hold open and 3) you wont get much liquid out anyway, as their is no air inlet to assure flow

hydrometer stuck in gunk will very much affect readings. its needs to be free floating.

I use a turkey baster. Not being from the US, I will explain. It is a syringe and bulb used to suck up cooking juices to bathe the food in during cooking. About 2 bulb fulls will fill the hydrometer vial. It is easy to sanitize and is much neater than trying to dip the vial.

I use a turkey baster. Not being from the US, I will explain. It is a syringe and bulb used to suck up cooking juices to bathe the food in during cooking. About 2 bulb fulls will fill the hydrometer vial. It is easy to sanitize and is much neater than trying to dip the vial.

Just because a guy is from New Zealand he doesn't know what a turkey baster is?:tank:

those crazy Kiwis and they're crazy toilets with the water going all left and stuff

Thanks for your responses!

Actually, we possibly don't call them turkey basters over here - I know the thing you mean though.

So then is it normal to pull samples by suction - by way of siphoning, turkey basters etc.? Is this better than trying scoop a sample out with a glass measuring jug, provided I've done my best to sanitize it?

Would it be ok to remove my airlock and siphon the sample out with a small tube through its grommit? The lid on my fermenter is quite inconvenient to remove.

i would not put your hydro in your fermenter. Hydros are very fragile, and break easily. If it breaks while in your fermenter, you have broken glass throughout your beer, not good.

I recommend the wine thief that JohnMc posted about to remove wort from the fermenter.

You could put the first test sample into a small soda bottle. Just cover the top with foil and place it next to the fermenter (so temps will be the same). Then take subsequent readings from there.

Edit: Disregard this info. Thanks Beerthirty. I do not do it, but had heard of it. Now I never will.

Back