Pull sample from naturally carb'd keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anbowden

Reaction score
I'd like to pull a sample from a keg thats been naturally carbonating for 1.5 weeks at 72 degrees. The beer was already conditioned before kegging. My understanding is I shouldn't attempt to pour from the keg with CO2 because it will be all foam (keg is currently warm). Is my best bet to pull a sample with a thief and then put in the refrigerator to cool? Hopefully the sample will retain some of the absorbed CO2.

Thanks,
Andy

I wouldn't open it up without being able to purge with CO2. I'd worry about oxidation.

If anything I'd prefer to push a little foam and give it time to settle down for a flat sample.

I recently found myself needing to do this. I bled the head pressure, put a few psi on it and tried to pour a sample, but got all foam. So, I ordered one of these...

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/mobile/STAINLESS-CARBONATION-CLEANING-CAP-P3609.aspx

It's a carbonater cap for a plastic bottle with a barb on the inside so you can put a dip tube in the bottle. I pressurized the bottle to about 25-30 (don't go too high), bled the keg and repressurized to the same level, then put a jumper between the two. As you gently open the cap on the bottle, it allows for a pressure difference, and your sample will move to the bottle.

Back