PSA: Can you trust a lab thermometer? The answer is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedYellow

Reaction score
No! I recently bought 2 lab thermometers and calibrated them in freezing and boiling water (with a touch of chalk added). In boiling water, one read 216f and the other read 212f. Boiling point here in Chicago is 211f.

5 degrees Fahrenheit error! (Not as bad at 32F though). Why didn't I know this could happen?!?! Grrrrrrrr.

What brands and how much were they? I have heard that thermapens are next to perfect

What brands and how much were they? I have heard that thermapens are next to perfect
These don't have any brand indication on them, nor have the others that I've bought over the years. They were around $6 at the LHBS.

I've never been fond of the answer "just buy this expensive digital therm" because in my experience digitals can lose calibration and get generally wonky. I like the inherent trustworthiness of the glass lab therm, but clearly they need to be checked first!!

Cleary that was a "lab" thermometer in name only. I gotta say, after nearly 6 years my Thermapen has never failed me.

Thermapens are on sale on Amazon for $18 today.. FYI

I'm not seeing them. Got a link?

Regardless, I still prefer a *good* lab thermometer for mash temps. When using a cooler for mashing, temps vary quite a bit and lab thermometers are pretty good at reporting an average temp. Digital are just hard to use there.

I hope this doesn't become a Thermapen fanboy thread.

By lab thermometer, do you mean a glass, colored alcohol filled one? They are typically way more accurate that any digital included the much hailed Thermapen.
One clue is no manufacturer's mark.

I find that rectal thermometers are very accurate.
I ask my wife to pick them up at yard sales.
One can never have enough good thermometers handy.

:tank:

Back