Protecting a Keezer Collar from the Elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnear76

Reaction score
I'm about to start work on my keezer collar and I'm wondering how I should seal it. There are number of choices: Hellsman Exterior Urethane, Polyurethane, and Thompson's WaterSeal. I think polyurethane would not be a good choice since it would not allow the wood to breathe.

I'm thinking of using pine 2x4 framing with a nice piece of pine 1x6 that would hang over the front and sides. I want to keep it natural, because the 1x6 is pretty nice to begin with.

So what products did you guys use to protect the wood from the moist keezer environment?

I'd recommend using pressure treated lumber. This will give you a good start to ensure that any moisture and condensation won't be a problem.
I'd them prime the boards, all the way around with a primer sealer likeZinsser. Do 2 coats and when you go to build it, make sure to prime any cut ends.
After priming, i'd paint with any exterior grade latex, 2 coats would be best. After everything is primed and painted then assemble. You can use stainless steel screws that are available at just about any hardware supply store to make sure you never have a problem with rust.
This may be a little overkill, but if you put the work in up front it will defiantly last.
If you use pine, make sure you use the Zinsser. It will seal the pine sap from leaching through the paint and looking ugly.

I'd recommend using pressure treated lumber.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I thought about using pressure treated wood, but I was slightly concerned with the chemicals. I know the beer physically won't be touching the wood, but the vapors that stuff gives off could be hazardous.

Using pressure treated wood would force me to paint. I figured that paint would have a hard time in that environment and the wood would be unable to breathe. This could cause rot from the inside. I also read that you have to wait a month before painting pressure treated wood.

I imagine I could get some sap from the 2x4s but the 1x6 face is devoid of imperfections. It would look pretty good with a simple finish.

There shouldn't be enough moisture in the keezer to cause a problem. If there is, fix the moisture problem with air circulation, DampRid, etc... There will be a bit of moisture in there, but not enough that would cause you to shy away from any typical woodworking finish. Think about how much steam your bath vanity, or the kitchen cabinet above the stove sees. Unless your keezer is going to be located outside and exposed to UV, I'd stick with poly, or maybe even lacquer.

Ed

pressure treated is probably overkill. Just do a real good job painting the pieces and it should last for a long time.

Today's latex paints are very well designed. I don't think there is a much difference in durability compared to an oil paint. They are also a lot easier and healthier to deal with. prep is probably a much bigger factor for durability.

Back