Prospective new BIABer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baabaadoo

Reaction score
My story:
Hello,

I've inherited the equipment needed for BIAB for nothin. I'm a beer drinker, but I have started recently completely new home-brewer off the bat brewing mead. I got Ed's apfelwein goin too. I have extract brewing friends and I know of the ease of extract brewing. I don't want to do extract brewing. Having a biochemistry background and being a capable guy, I'd like to jump straight to BIAB all grain. I just have some questions about some concerns/ideas buzzing around in my head. I'm looking for a simple method that is mostly efficient and not overly time consuming.

Chilling:
I didn't inherit a chiller. I know I could DIY rig one easily, but I was thinking of going for no chill method brewing, let it chill for 24 hrs and use a quart or so of wort for a RWS in the mean time. Thoughts?

Water/gravity concerns:
Do you need to start with boiling all the water you plan on using through the entire fermentation process? For example, if I want a typical 5gal volume, I need to start with ~6.5-7gal to compensate for loss? I'm tempted to sparge about 1gal above my brew kettle using an extendable sink colander. What is the most efficient way to compensate for that volume? Is that a good idea or should I just focus on getting a effective no-sparge method down first?

Recipe questions/recommendations:
I'm all for starting simple regarding recipes. I'll be focused enough getting all the technique down, but I'd like something lower IBU's, but poppular. I'm not a hop head so I'm considering doing Beirmuncher's cream ale or Ed's Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen. The hefeweizen says to ferment for 10 days, cold crash, and keg. I'm a bottler and I don't really cold crash. What's a bottler's way through that predicament (to avoid bottle bombs). Is that a concern?

Thank you for your comments and ideas.

I'm reposting this exact thread in the BIAB Brewing forum. Could someone remove this thread?

Sorry & Thank you.

Latest posts

Back