Proper time to measure OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmarcdee

Reaction score
I was reading another (old) thread and saw some guy say
"...and took my OG before aerating (dumb)"
Why is this dumb? Is there a proper time to measure the OG of a batch?

Aerating makes no difference, but perhaps his method of aerating provided mixing. You want it well mixed to get a representative sample.

If anything, I'd think you'd want to sample before aerating, especially if you aerate to a level of dissolved gas beyond normal atmospheric pressure (which you should be doing). Now I don't know if dissolved oxygen at the levels we're looking for would have anywhere near as much impact as the higher (relative) levels of dissolved CO2 does when trying to read the FG of a carbonated commercial beer (really helpful when you're trying to clone it). I'd suspect it's an insignificant impact, but that's my thought process at least.

I like to pull thev OG sample before chilling so there is less chance for infection.

Never thought to do that...good idea. One less thing to do when I'm already busy chilling/racking/aerating/pitching.

As long as you're chilling your sample before reading it, then sure, why not.

My cleaning and sanitation is good, so I don't worry about it. I usually grab a couple drops (refractometer) in the kettle after chill but before transfer and make sure it's all well mixed with my immersion chiller (stratification isn't dramatic after a full boil, nowhere near the stratification of top off water and wort, but I've noticed some).

Latest posts

Back